Showtime

Everyone was waiting for them.

"What the fuck took you so long?" Iruma complained.

"Don't be a rude bitch." Kokichi countered.

Iruma froze up and blushed, but more importantly, stopped talking.

"I hope that you and Momota-kun have been successful in your investigation." Korekiyo said.

"Gonta hopes you can find Saihara-kun's killer." Gonta said.

"It should be easy. Nishishi." Kokichi boasted. "Momota-chan and I make a killer team!"

Kaito rolled his eyes.

"Well, you're both degenerate males...but you'd better do a good job!" Tenko drawled, pointing at them.

"Who says that I'm going to do all the work? With Saihara-chan gone, you guys need to pick up the slack and actually contribute." Kokichi said.

"Can we please just go to the trial grounds?" Maki snapped.

There was a loud rumbling noise and the ground started to shake.

The gaudy Monokuma statue smashed the chalice it'd been holding and pointed at them, before crossing its arms and descending into the water, revealing the entrance to the elevator that would take them to the trial grounds.

Kokichi touched his right pocket and felt his Monopad through the fabric.

As sickening as it was, the device was a reassuring presence. During the investigation, he had made a quick overview of all the evidence he and Kaito had gathered.

It was an idea he'd adopted from Shuichi. In the first class trial, The Ultimate Detective had written copious notes on Rantaro's murder. It had helped him out Kaede as the culprit.

And now, Kokichi was using that same tactic to solve Shuichi's murder.

He needed his notes.

The identity of the Blackened wasn't as clear-cut as he thought it would be.

"Let's do our best everyone!" Kiibo cheered, trying to rally them.

"We can only move forward, not backwards." Kirumi agreed.

"For Shuichi." Kaito said quietly.

Everyone nodded.

Kokichi didn't say anything and just strolled into the elevator.

The others shuffled in after him.

Kokichi stole a quick look at Kaito.

The Ultimate Astronaut was oblivious. He was looking straight ahead with a determined glint in his eyes.

Kokichi looked away and sighed.

I'm going to have to rely on him more than I planned to, aren't I? He realised bitterly.

"Hey Kokichi!" Someone yelled excitedly. The suddenness of it made him jump a little.

It was Angie. Himiko was with her.

Kokichi frowned at them.

"What do you want?" He said.

"I have been communing with Atua. He says that all will be well." Angie declared.

"Nyeh. Yonaga has been comforting me. She told me to smile more. "Himiko said, smiling lowly to illustrate her point. It was slightly brighter than her usual lazy pout.

"I've been telling Himiko about life back on my island, and how safe it is. Everyone always has their door open, and no one breaks in. Some people even sleep with their door wide open." Angie said warmly, clasping her hands.