Regrets

Kokichi felt numb.

His beloved Saihara-chan was dead.

The detective's body was floating in Himiko's spare water tank. It didn't have much water in it. It was only about half full.

Maybe Yumeno-chan was using it as practice for her magic trick? He thought distantly.

He shook his head and studied Shuichi's body.

He had been stabbed a fair number of times; there was a particularly large wound in his chest. The water was tinged pink.

His face was also oddly puffy...

Kokichi took a closer look, unable to help himself, and immediately winced.

It was hard to see through the thick glass, but Shuichi was covered in bruises.

In addition to the stabbing, Shuichi's murderer had also beaten the crap out of him.

Kokichi heard a choking sound and then someone falling to their knees, but didn't look away.

He didn't need to see Kaito Momota's pain. He felt the same way.

Kokichi knew that his mask had slipped. He didn't care.

For a moment, just for a single moment, he could properly mourn Shuichi.

Everyone else was too shocked to notice his slip up anyway.

The thing was...Kokichi was surprised. And he hated it.

He had been expecting Ryoma to turn up dead, not Shuichi.

It just didn't add up.

Shuichi hadn't meant to die.

Kokichi teared up and pouted absurdly, readying himself for another performance.

"UWAAAAAH! WHY!? MY BELOVED SAIHARA-CHAN IS DEEAAAAADDD!" He cried, mustering an impressive amount of crocodile tears.

"Shut up Ouma." Ryoma snapped.

"Okay." Kokichi said, immediately stopping.

Several of his classmates glared at him.

Kokichi smirked back.

Good. He had to keep everyone at an arm's length.

"Why did this happen?" Kaito muttered lowly.

His bitter voice cut through the tense silence.

It even rattled Kokichi a little bit.

The Ultimate Astronaut sounded dead. It was quite a sharp contrast to his usual mood.

"Who did this? Who murdered my sidekick?!" Kaito suddenly screamed. He leapt to his feet and glowered at everyone.

He was crying and shaking. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and dripping on to the carpet.

"M-momota-kun, calm down." Tsumugi suggested timidly.

She reached out to him.

Kaito slapped her hand away and stumbled back.

"No! I won't...because I-I let this happen. This is my fault. I didn't stay with Shuichi last night." He rambled.

Kokichi supressed the urge to roll his eyes. It was just like Kaito to needlessly blame himself.

He didn't disparage Kaito's conduct, but in a killing game, breaking down was useless.

"Momota-chan, leave the room. Go and cool off." Kokichi demanded, letting some of his annoyance show.