Twelve Years Ago

'I'll see you both on the other side,' Thomas Vasquez said to his family.

His wife turned away from the camera to speak with their daughter and lovingly but firmly eject her from the bridge. No doubt she would sulk about that, unhappy she wasn't getting her own way. But it was an important lesson in growing up. Tila would have to learn to take no for an answer.

Thomas looked up from his calculations to the three giant screens which displayed the status of each of the colony ships; The Rising Star, from where his wife had overall command of the mission, the New Dawn, and his own Far Horizon.

The pre-jump calculations were almost synchronised. It was almost time.

Supercomputers on three starships completed final simulations and blinked all systems green.

'It's all down to luck now,' Thomas said to his wife. 'We're as ready as we can be.'

On his workstation monitor, Thomas watched Grace stand up straight and tall, her hands behind her back, and prepare to give the order.

'You don't need luck,' she told him, then to her own bridge she gave the final order, 'Begin final sequence.'

'Now or never?' said Thomas.

'Now or never,' she replied, and smiled at her husband. 'I'll see you in fourteen light years.'

* * * * *

The portal opened. Two points in space light years apart, were, for a moment, joined in ways even the scientists didn't totally understand. But the equation had balanced. The wormhole had opened, and through it slipped the first ship of the colony mission: The Far Horizon.

The tension on the bridge, throughout the ship, was palpable. Nearly twelve thousand people held their breath, held tight to loved ones, said final prayers, and vanished.

The New Dawn and Rising Star were gone.

On the bridge, sitting at the rear so he could see everything and no-one could see him unless they turned around, Captain Anderson opened his eyes. No one turned around. Before them was a star as yet unseen by human eyes.

They had made it.

Cheers erupted throughout the bridge. Crew members and deck officers shook hands, high five'd and slapped each others backs. Two kissed, which the captain chose to overlook.

The captain looked over the man beside him. The man primarily responsible for the miracle that had just happened. He appeared visibly relieved as well.

Didn't he know it was going to work?

'Mr Vasquez, I believe we can consider this mission a success, yes?'

'That was only the first step, captain.'

'One giant leap, and all that. Isn't that how the legend goes?'

'That was only our one small step.'

'Enjoy the moment, Thomas. You've earned it. We still have work to do but for now I think you've earned your champagne.' Anderson turned his attention back to the bridge and raised his voice. 'Now hear this. We've made it in one piece. Our friends will be joining us momentarily. Let's show them that we haven't been wasting time celebrating. What do we have on scopes?'

Professionalism replaced jubilation. The crew fell to their tasks with practiced efficiency. This was a unique opportunity. They had been chosen for their passion as much as for their skills and qualifications, and they relished the chance to demonstrate all three.

'Visible spectrum shows three planets, captain. No moons. A significant asteroid presence especially around the second planet. First is hidden by cloud, second appears within habitable range. Third is a gas giant some distance away. Solar hub is a K-type main-sequence star.