Twenty Four

"This is because I beat him in a fight, isn't it?"

"Don't be silly. You need to know more than just how to hit people."

"It is, though, isn't it."

Grace sighed inwardly. Tila's refusal to learn was becoming a problem. Confidence was one thing. Over-confidence was was risk. Tila's attitude was now bordering on arrogance, and that was something Grace would not accept in her daughter.

"You beat him in a... let's say in an unorthodox way. Marcus hasn't complained about the fight and is still willing to train you in addition to his regular duties here. You should be grateful he is making the time. Besides, he told me you would be back for more lessons."

"Well, the rest of him is hard to hit," Tila admitted. "But I still don't need a gun."

Tila's protestations had continued all the way to the shooting range but Grace had ignored every one.

"You never know what you will need until you need it. Remember the Solar Forge? You fired a gun there."

"That was different."

"And you missed every shot."

"We're not going to be in a situation that again."

"Pay attention Tila. We're in hostile space. This fleet is conducting boarding actions against asteroids as we speak. None of us have any idea what is coming next. So you need to be ready."

She held the door open for her daughter until the stepped through. Grace sighed in relief, and followed.

"Ma'am," said the duty officer. He nodded at Grace. He had heard all about her role in the mission. He looked Tila once over too. News travels fast on a ship. He had heard of her as well. He gestured with one palm to the datapad on his desk. "Sign in here. Follow the safety briefings at all times or you will be ejected." He looked at Tila again. "Ma'am."

Grace signed them both in and pushed Tila through the next door. There were four soldiers in the room. Three were leaving the range. They checked in weapons and ear defenders one at a time at a booth through which Tila could see cages and racks of weapons and ammunition.

The fourth was Marcus. He stood at ease, feet apart, hands behind his back. He smiled at Grace.

"Good morning Mrs Vasquez, how are you today?"

"I'm fine thank you Major. Are you sure you're up to this particular challenge?"

Marcus snapped his feet together and saluted. "It would be my pleasure, ma'am."

"Just make sure she doesn't kill anyone."

"I'll do my best, ma'am."

"But I don't need a gun," Tila repeated.

"I hope you're right," said Grace, "But the gym turned out to be more, let's say confrontational, than I expected. Here, your only target is a sheet of paper. Besides, we don't know what's coming. I want you prepared for anything. If something goes wrong I want you to know how to defend yourself."

"But you said it yourself, I don't get on with guns."

"Marcus will teach you."

"I don't get on with with Marcus, either."

"Learn," ordered Grace, and shut the door.

Tila grunted at the door and turned to face Marcus, who was standing back at ease.

"Miss Vasquez," he said politely, but firmly, "I will be your instructor on the range today. We're going to familiarise you with the safe handling of two standard issue weapons, the M106 battle rifle and the P9 sidearm."