Fourteen

Tila sat quietly as instructed, and watched the Admiral direct proceedings from his standpoint in the centre of the bridge. He clasped his hands behind his back and rocked gently on his feet, back and forth, heel to toe, while around him the bridge crew ramped up their operations. She noticed how conversations had become crisp and direct. Movements were sure and swift. The crew were professionals, trained and in their element and ready for action.

Tila had not had a great deal of experience with fleet or even ship captains as an adult. As a child she had probably met more, especially during the preparation for the Baru colony mission, but as an adult? She couldn't remember. The last few years had been on the Juggernaut. Before that she had mostly travelled by avoiding ship's captains where possible. Getting caught as a stowaway was never a good idea. Automatic spacing of stowaways had been outlawed for years among commercial and passenger shipping, but there were rumours.

What Tila really noticed about Yannis was his manners. She had never seen someone in command be so polite.

"May I have an update on the fleet status please?' asked Yannis.

'Fleet network synchronisation is underway. Final velocity adjustments are coming in now,' answered the jump tech who was seated to the Admiral's left.

'Thank you. Jump drives?'

'Beacon still appears to be operating within normal parameters. We've detected no changes in code or transmissions beyond the hidden network traffic,' said the officer responsible for the jump.

'Your final call?'

'Final call is that we are ready to proceed at your command, sir.'

'Thank you.'

Tila touched her mother's arm to get her attention. Grace leaned in to listed to Tila's whisper.

'Is he always this nice?'

'Yes, always.'

'Is that normal?'

'Every captain has their own command style.'

'You were never this nice.'

'Of course I was.'

'I don't remember you saying please and thank you when you were in charge.'

'I captained my first ship when you were five years old. There's a lot you don't remember.'

They listened as more final checks took place.

'He's too nice,' said Tila

'Too nice?'

'He's in charge. He shouldn't have to keep saying please and thank you. Everyone has to obey him anyway. It slows things down.'

'Are you saying manners are inefficient?'

'He's not their friend, he's the Admiral. The crew should just do what he orders them to.'

'Ah, so you would prefer to command with an iron fist, is that it?'

'I don't want to be a captain!'

'But?'

'But yes. If everyone just did what they were told things would be easier.'

Grace patted her daughter's knee. 'If only you had believed that growing up.'

'Admiral,' said the first officer. 'We are ready for final sequence.'

Yannis nodded his thanks. He stopped rocking and planted his feet square on the deck. He spoke, addressing the communications officer without taking his eyes from the screen.