Thirty Seven

Tila found her way to the shuttle bay faster than she had found the gym. It was busy down here, in the middle of the ship. Two bays, on either side of the ship, were cycling through transports, shuttles, and survey craft as fast as they could be reloaded. She knew the same was happening aboard the Saint Christopher and the Esperanto. They had no time to lose. Conditions on the asteroids were unknown, and they had to get as many colonists out as possible.

People came first, that meant systems had to be made secure as soon as possible. Data would be extracted and backed up on the initial visit, but secondary teams would move in afterwards for a more thorough examination.

That's what Marcus had hinted at. Tila didn't know why he had told her, but she was grateful. If she could sneak on board with the follow up team, she could see the data for herself. Maybe it would turn out to be nothing, but it would be progress. Better a step in the wrong direction than no step at all.

Multiple mission teams and flight crews crowded the deck. The colonists were elsewhere, safe now, and being treated and fed. None of them was named Thomas.

Every few minutes, a shuttle or transport would be loaded, and moved into a launch bay. The Saint Christopher and Esperanto would be doing most of the rescue work. They were better equipped and closer since Yannis had spread out the fleet. The Northwind had stayed in the middle of the fleet to maximise communication response as the fleet had now thinned so far among the asteroids that distances were introducing comm lag. The Northwind was also a multi-role vessel, so it had a range of skills to draw on for the follow up missions.

Fortunately for Tila, each launch bay had the next destination on a screen above the bay doors. Unfortunately she was not dressed for any kind of mission.

She entered the deck, and circled the room. This part was easy. The room was so busy one more body didn't matter. Then she noticed people exit a doorway in standard flight suits or civilian clothing. They were coming back from a mission, so they must have got changed.

Tila quickly circled the deck and stepped through the door. It split into two changing rooms, separated by a thin wall. Full length lockers held a mixture of uniforms and overalls, and on a shelf was a range of toolboxes and equipment. It would be enough to blend in.

She started to pull on a set of technicians overalls. She turned and twisted, trying to pull the arms up, and saw that she was being watched.

Another technician stood at the door, fully kitted in overalls, and with an emergency respirator hooked to her waist. Gloves were tucked into her tool belt. She looked every bit the part that Tila was trying to play.

"There's no need to rush, the next shuttle isn't leaving for ten more minutes," she said. Her voice carried a note of amusement. "Also, the clean outfits are on this side of the room." She rapped her knuckles against the steel doors.

"Oh, uh, I guess I was rushing," said Tila.

"First mission?"

"Sort of."

"I know the feeling. I remember my first mission. It was more dangerous than this though, you'll be fine. Where are you heading?"

Tila gave the the asteroid designation she remembered. She hoped it was the right one.

"Oh, me too. Here, let me help you with that."

The woman helped Tila out of the dirty outfit and handed her a clean set of overalls and a respirator.

"I've seen you somewhere before. At the shooting range?" said the woman.

"Maybe," said Tila. She shrugged on the top half of the outfit and sealed it up to neck. It mostly fit.

"You're not very good, are you?"

"So ," said Tila. "Are you a good shot?"

"No," said the woman. She offered Tila her hand. "I'm Anwir Green."

"I'm... Ellie Chambers," lied Tila.

"Ellie? That's a nice name," said the woman. "It's always been one of my favourites."

"Mine too," said Tila, with a small smile.

Anwir handed Tila the respirator. "Take this. Don't forget your tools. What work are you doing over there?"

"Data retrieval," said Tila. Anwir watched her take the first toolbox from the shelf. "You?"

"Life support. It's amazing how fragile people can be, once you take away what they need to survive, don't you think?" She tucked short dark hair under a tan cap and checked her chronometer. "Time to go."