Twenty Nine

Marcus burst on to the bridge in a rage, seeking the captain, demanding answers. He wasn't the only one. The girl and her mother were both there, fighting over something inconsequential, no doubt.

"Captain!" He said, firmly, as he stepped on to the command dias. "Captain Yannis."

Yannis looked him up and down. "At ease, Staff Sergeant."

The tone of that command reminded Marcus that he had forgotten to salute. He snapped one out, then stood at ease.

"My apologies, Captain, but I need answers."

"We all need answers, Staff Sergeant. What, precisely, do you think my crew is doing right now?"

"Sir, this happened when the first colonists arrived on board. It can't be a coincidence."

"I appreciate your suspicion, but there is no possibility any of the colonists could have been involved."

"But sir, the timing."

"The timing is unfortunate, yes. We are investigating everything from the moment the first transport returned, but any physical connection to your fire and the colonists is extremely unlikely."

Grace, backing away from her daughter who seemed to be in her own furious state, stepped forward before Marcus could continue."

"Captain, as I was saying, the sooner you can release any information about the data retrieved from those asteroids, the sooner we can start looking at it."

"Grace, that data will be released for your eyes after it has been evaluated by our own analysts. OpSec takes priority here."

"But you can't think that my daughter is a security risk."

"What I think doesn't matter, we follow the protocols. If that data can be released to you, you are welcome to look for information about your husband."

"I thought we had an understanding, Captain," said Grace.

Marcus watched the fire in her eyes burn brighter, and glanced past her where Tila had the same intransigent expression on her face. Like mother, like daughter. But they only wanted data? He had more important things to do.

"Sir," Marcus interrupted. "With respect, an incident like this, at a time like this, cannot be overlooked. There is too much at stake here. We are still light years from home and unsupported."

Yannis, spun his chair from Grace to Marcus. "I am well aware of our tactical sitution, than you.

Tila was tired of waiting, and she stepped up to the dias too.

"You have no right to keep that data from us," Tila yelled.

"This will really calm things down," Marcus muttered to himself.

"Excuse me, Staff Sergeant Wu?" said Grace.

"Grace, stand down. I remind you that you do not need to be on the bridge. Your presence here is a courtesy which can be rescinded at any time."

"You can't do that," said Tila. "You wouldn't be commanding this mission if it wasn't for her."

"Investigation into the Cabal were already well advanced," said Marcus. He was sure if these two women could leave, he could get some answers from the bridge crew.

"Staff Sergeant, that's enough," said Yannis.

"And everything else in this system is only possible because of my father. We need to find him, that's why we're here!" Tila shouted.

"Tila, you can't speak to the Captain like that!" said Grace.

"Your place is not to defend the Captain of this ship, ma;'am," said Marcus.