Nineteen

Ellie hurried along behind Dominique to their assigned briefing room. New friends were good, but she hoped that next time she made friends they didn't walk so fast. She clutched her datapad to her chest, holding it to her so tightly her arms were not free to counterbalance her walk, so she wobbled along the hallways, half running, half-walking, as fast as she could keep up.

Ellie was suddenly afraid. Things had become real. She was anxious about her first time in a real classroom. It was her first time in any formal education really. Juggernaut life had involved learning, yes, but not schooling. Not like this. On the Juggernaut, you learned what you needed, when you needed it. There was no minimum standard, no grades, and certainly no exams. Ellie had always been grateful for that. She had read stories of children in school. Exams always seemed to be one of the most terrible things a child could experience. Exams and bullies. Thanks to Tila, Ellie never had to worry about bullies. Ellie had no idea how Tila felt about exams. Now she was too far away to ask. She was also anxious about having to learn the theory of spacecraft, anxious that her friends would find out about the Juggernaut or Conway, and that somehow this would all vanish if the truth came out.

All she really wanted to do was fly. Life on the Juggernaut was simpler in so many ways. Malachi built ships, Ellie raced them, Tila complained. But everything had changed when they found that hidden ship. Now life wasn't simple any more.

The briefing room door was open when they arrived. Steep, tiered seating faced a screen which covered an entire wall. The room looked designed for fifty. Today it would swallow their class. The screen was black except for the official badge of the Paris; a stylised carrier rendered in grey and blue. On the floor between seating and screen were two desks and four chairs. All were empty.

Ellie followed Dominique to the third row. It was, as she explained, not too far back to seem disinterested, not too far forward to seem over eager, and they sat down.

"Good morning, Goldilocks," said a voice behind her.

Ellie turned. Aiden was sitting one row back, scribbling something on his datapad.

"Who?"

"Golidlocks. From the story?"

"What story?"

"Never mind."

"Is everyone else here yet?" said Ellie.

"We're just missing the gruesome twosome."

"The twins?"

"Uh huh."

"Why are you so mean to them?"

"Ellie, are you telling me they haven't rubbed you the wrong way already? They are not here to make friends. They don't need any."

"Everyone needs friends," Ellie said.

At that moment, Aurora and Celeste entered and went directly to the front row.

"You can be their friend."

The sisters glanced behind them, scanning the layout of the room. Their eyes settled on Ellie. One of them said something, the other smirked, and they turned back to face the screen.

"Well, they do have each other," said Ellie.

As Ellie stared at the back of the twin's heads, she heard another cadet clambering over the seats to sit next to Aiden. The cadet kicked the back of her chair.

"Hey, new girl," said a deep voice.

Ellie turned around again. "Yes?"

"You're the transfer?"