Twenty

Ellie's head popped off the pillow moments before her alarm sounded. She shut it down on the first buzz. This was no day to sleep in (as if she could) or even to wish that was possible.

Today she would get to fly.

She showered and dressed, but today not in the standard issue grey jump suit they wore for all other lessons. Yesterday they had collected new packages containing their trainee flight suits, and Ellie was excited to put it on again.

She had tried it on at once, of course, the minute she had returned to her quarters at the end of the previous day. She had contemplated sleeping in it. She had justified this because it would mean she would save time getting ready in the morning, but in the end decided that she didn't want to spoil it by wearing it in bed all night, plus she would have to take it off to shower anyway.

But now it was back on. It wasn't a perfect fit. She was learning that this was a problem with cadet standard issue clothing. There was a little too much in some areas and much too little in others, but it would do. If it meant she got to fly, even pretend flying, it would do.

Ellie finished dressing, and checked herself in the mirror before leaving. She tugged one part of the suit and smoothed out another, confidently flicked her hair over her shoulders and left to make her mark on the day.

The Paris had four simulator rooms, two on deck seven, aft and two more on the forward section of deck eight. Her class was assigned to deck seven, simulator room two. The route from her cabin took her past the mess hall on deck seven. The Paris operated a twenty-four hour rotation so the room was always busy, but at this time, between the end of one shift and the start of another, it was particularly so. Crew, cadets, officers and administrators lined up with no regard for any rank or hierarchy. Here it was first come, first served.

Ellie collected a tray and joined the line. She looked around the room as the queue shuffled forward, hoping to see a friendly face. Dotted among the seated diners she saw clusters and individuals in grey or white, but no one she recognised. Obviously they were not up and ready yet. They didn't want this as much as she did.

The queue moved forward.

"Next?" said the young man serving the hot food.

"Um, do you have any oatmeal?"

"We have porridge."

"What's that?"

"It's like oatmeal."

"How much like it?"

"Exactly like it."

"So why do you call it porridge?"

He shrugged. "I only serve it."

Ellie leaned forward a little to see along the line.

"Do you have any bacon? I don't see any."

The young man pointed to another server who was at that moment carrying out a large metal serving tray heaped with slices of bacon.

"Yup," he said.

Ellie beamed at him. "Then I'll have some bacon please!"

"You got another plate?"

She offered the tray with the bowl of oatmeal. "You can put it in there."

"In your porridge?"

"In my oatmeal."

Without taking his eyes off her he picked up the serving tongs hanging nearby, scooped up three slices of bacon, and dropped them in her bowl.

"Thank you!"

"Sure. Next?"

There was a lot of food to try, and Ellie was working her way through the menu meal by meal, but bacon had quickly become a favourite. There was definitely a lot more texture to food than she ever realised existed.

She picked an apple from a bowl and a hot cup of tea, no milk, from the drink station. Most people drank coffee. She had tried it once and decided once was more than enough. She preferred hot chocolate, but Mr Yoshihiro only drank tea, and she felt it was a small way in which she could honour the help he and Mr Conway had given her.

Now at the end of the line she could see the rest of the mess hall. Sitting three tables away was a familiar face. Two of them. The twins stared at her. One of them said something to the other and they both laughed. Ellie started toward them (be friendly!) but they were already on their feet and clearing up.

"This table is free now," said one of them.

"You're finished already?" said Ellie.

"We don't want to be late," said the other one. "Some of us take this seriously."

Ellie looked for a clock, found it, and looked back at them, but they were already walking away.

"But we have ages," she said to herself. She dropped into a chair and banged the tray on the table. "And I am taking it seriously," she said, but there was no one to hear her.

Ellie ate quickly, feeling rushed despite the time, even though there was no way she was going to be late. She would have eaten quickly anyway but that would have been out of excitement. Now she ate out of fear. It ruined her breakfast. The bacon was still good though.

When she had finished she checked the clock again. There was still plenty of time. Maybe Aiden or Dominique would stop for breakfast on the way? It was worth waiting, just in case.

But fifteen minutes later there was still no sign of anyone she knew. The clock told her she still had plenty of time so she waited another five minutes before giving up. Ellie slid her tray into a rack and headed for the simulator room.