Thirty Four

An exasperated Captain Yannis finally turned his attention back to the bridge. Marcus could take the fire investigation if he really wanted. Yannis didn't consider it any more than an accident. A terrible accident, to be sure, for they had lost a valuable crew member, but an accident nonetheless. It was impossible for one of the rescued colonists to have had anything to do with it. No means, no motive, and clearly no opportunity. They were separated by six decks and a full security team.

Yannis had sat in the chair for many years, and he knew accidents could happen. You prepared for them, and trained your crew, but things could still go wrong. This wasn't a safe job. No one ever said it was. Ultimately it would turn out to be faulty maintenance, or bad installation, or, more likely, one of the marines trying to circumvent or patch into a system they had no business touching.

The real culprit would come to light in time, the crew's death would be on there hands. Yannis had no doubt about that, and no hesitation in applying a Captain's justice when all the facts were available. But until then...

"What is the final count of rescued colonists?" he asked.

"Five hundred sixteen, captain. A mix of men, women, and children."

"Children?"

"Yes sir. It's been twelve years, sir. There were children and young families on the colony ships. It's no surprise they had more."

Yannis drummed his fingers on the arm of his chair. Of course there was. Tila was one of them. Now she was grown up and somehow his problem. At least she was out of the way now.

"Sir," said an officer at a science station. "We have new probe data coming in. The data stream is being merged into the survey simulation now."

"Did it flag anything new about that ring?"

"Unclear at this time sir, a high metal content in places. It's not evenly distributed. We'll know more shortly."

"Keep me informed. I want a landing party ready to investigate that planet as soon as possible.

"Yes, sir."

Things were starting to take shape. Scans were almost complete. The rescue mission had begun, and outside the minefield, there had been no sign of Cabal resistance.

Yannis sat back in his chair and relaxed a little.

Things were finally getting under control