The Story So Far... (MAJOR SPOILERS for Juggernaut Books 1-3)

If you're reading the Tales from the Juggernaut for the first time, and this your first story, you should go back and start with book one: The Juggernaut, to read the adventures of Tila, Malachi and Ellie so far.

IF you've already read THE JUGGERNAUT, PARADOR and THE DEAD FLEET, read on for a short recap of the events to date.

This recap includes MAJOR SPOILERS for the first three books.

BACKSTORY

Earth has finally left the boundary of the Sol system. The creation of faster-than-light travel via a combination of jump drives and navigation beacons, has allowed humanity to travel across the galaxy by jumping from star to star. 

One distant cluster of stars was cut off from the rest of humanity when a star went nova, destroying the local beacons, and shutting off any possible navigation home from the colonies.

The colonies descended into the fires of civil war. Knowledge and technology was lost as survival was, for a time, the only option. The war had cost the colonies over a century of progress but in time from the ashes rose the Commonwealth: a new alliance of planets and factions. 

THE JUGGERNAUT

With technological development back on track, the Commonwealth launches a colony mission captained by Grace Vasquez. Grace's husband, Thomas Vasquez, is the expert who has made new jump technology possible. Three ships,  New Dawn, Far Horizon, and Rising Star, intended to jump to a new star, Baru, to open new trade routes and opportunities. Grace captains the mission from the Rising Star. Thomas is on the Far Horizon, the first ship to jump.

The mission failed.

The Far Horizon vanished through the jump portal. The New Dawn was destroyed mid-jump, it's wreckage pulverising the Rising Star.

The few survivors were scattered around the commonwealth. Homeless. Penniless. Alone.

One survivor, Tila Vasquez, daughter of the captain, eventually found her way to the Juggernaut, a ruined city in space, built from the scraps of war and neglect over a hundred years. Orbiting a dying star in a lawless system, the Juggernaut is the home of those who have no where else to go.

So when Tila and her friends found a hidden ship buried within the city, a ship that should not exist because it was from the Far Horizon which vanished through the portal, Tila vows to discover the truth about the colony mission. 

Together with her friends Ellie (who love to race) and Malachi (an engineer who loves to star out of trouble) , they set out for the planet of Parador.

PARADOR

On Parador, richest of the Commonwealth planets, Tila and her friends search for answers. They know the colony mission investors had a lot at stake, so they reach out to them one at a time, to tell them about they ship they found. They hope that with the truth of the mission on the line, they can convince someone to investigate further. Tila has lost her mother already. The buried ship gives her hope the Far Horizon may have survived the jump, and her father may still be alive.

The first two investors are uninterested and hostile. The third, Alastair Conway, may be able to help, but he refuses to see them.

Disillusioned, the trio bump into a new friend, Jayce, who quickly falls for Ellie (because come on, she's adorable). They learn that Jayce is on his way to a race, and one of Jaye's opponents is an  intern for Conway. The intern could get them access, but he and his friends are bullies  and so refuse to help. Ellie quickly makes a bet. If she wins the race, Tila gets their meeting. If not, they get to take Jayce's vehicle.