Chapter 30. The gods haven't forgotten us

Hello everyone! I'm sorry, I almost forget to update this today. Fortunately, I remembered it in time, so you won't have to wait almost another day to read this. ;P With this chapter, I thought it would be good how the villagers are doing. We haven't heard of them since they got the new that Asterix was in Rome. Also, they could... come up with a plan or something, who knows? If you're enjoying this story, please, can you leave a review? Just if you want. I love to hear your thoughts about this. 😊

Well, I'd like to give a special thanks to Drummergirl for helping me editing this story. I'm really, really, really grateful to her, she's awesome!

Okay after say all this, here you have the next chapter of this story, I hope you all will like it!

*************************************

Vitalstatistix sat in his chair, his elbow resting on the armrest and his hand supporting his head. The leader was tired... no, not tired, by Belenos... he was desperate. The only thing he wished for was rest – to have time to clear his head – but that option didn't seem possible, especially at this moment.

Ever since they had received the dire news from the Romans that Asterix was in the hands of Caesar, the villagers had been gathering in the chief's cabin to decide what they should do. By now, however, it was quite clear it was going to be difficult – if not impossible – to come up with a solution to such a serious problem.

"The gods have turned against us! There is no hope anymore," one of the villagers said, completely disheartened.

Vitalstatistix didn't like to see his fellow Gauls in such a state. And he had tried – with the utmost determination – to make everyone's spirits improve, but it was becoming increasingly difficult... and frankly, he was beginning to lose hope, himself.

Fortunately, there were still Gauls who believed that everything could get better, as the villager who spoke next demonstrated:

"But maybe Obelix can still rescue Asterix! We can't give up yet, by Tutatis!"

Though of course, as always, there was that one character in charge of shattering and crushing everyone's spirits:

"If it weren't Asterix who was in this situation..."

But soon another villager would speak out, as if he were a defender of the people ready to always see the bright side... more or less... in all things:

"What do you mean by that? You think Obelix can't do it?"

And there it was. Vitalstatistix knew it from the moment they mentioned Obelix an argument was going to break out at some point. That moment was coming, as the villager who had spoken earlier now felt attacked and needed to defend his opinion.

"NO, I didn't mean that! But... if Asterix hadn't turned into a child..."

Oh, by Tutatis, why did the Gauls have to be such a stubborn people? The village chief knew perfectly well that from this point, things would escalate from exchanging words, to shouting, and finally to fists. It was inevitable.

"Maybe everything that has happened is a sign from the gods for us to submit to Rome," one of the villagers said in an almost inaudible voice, although loud enough to be heard by several people.

These words immediately caused someone to jump up and shout:

"You're mad! We'll never bow to Rome! Traitor!"

"Who are you calling a traitor?!" the one who had made such an unfortunate suggestion shouted in turn, but it was already too late. Just as Vitalstatistix had predicted, it wouldn't be long before it came to fists... that is, if no one managed to stop it. But who was going to be able to stop them? Who were they going to pay attention to?