Rest in Between Challenges Part 1

You woke up with a killer headache. You tried to remember if anything happened the night before. Then, you remembered.

Whatever, he probably won't remember. He doesn't seem that bright. You thought, rolling your eyes and getting out of bed. You threw on your clothes and some deodorant before stepping outside of the cabin. It was still early in the morning. It was cold enough that you could see your own breath, but it wasn't cold enough that you were shivering. It was still dark out, which you were happy about.

You were surprised to see Cody slide over towards you from the other side of cabin stairs. He was looking away from you.

"Oh. Hey," You said, turning in the opposite direction.

He looked at you, "Listen, I just wanted to say I'm really sorry for last night. I'm not sure what got into me. I think I'm just really desperate and sad right now because it doesn't seem like Gwen is into me like at all!" He sighed, frustrated.

"It's fine. I guessed that much. Whatever, no hard feelings. Just don't pull any of that shit again, especially if you're not into me. But, who knows, we still have 8 weeks here. That's plenty of time to make her fall for you," you consoled him, standing up to leave.

"Thanks, (y/n). You're a good friend. Say, do you wanna be my wing-man? Or wing-girl? Whichever you prefer," He asked, looking at you with pleading eyes.

"Yea, sure, whatever," You said, leaving and walking to the docks so you could get some alone time. Thinking about it, it could definitely get you closer to him, and you could console him when he gets rejected. It was scummy, but so was what he tried to do to you.

You dipped your legs into the water under the dock, deciding to take some time to relax. There was nothing you needed more right now than some silence.

It wasn't breakfast time yet, so you took a while to yourself. You watched the sun rise, until you saw your teammates leave their cabin. You stood up and stretched, walking up to Gwen.

"Good morning," she yawned, "How long have you been up?"

"Since a little before sunrise. I talked to Cody. He apologized for what he did.. and then asked if I could he his wing... whatever," You grumbled.

"Oh, dude, harsh.." She responded, "I'm sorry."

"It's whatever. It gives me a chance to talk to him more, I guess."

"Oh! You're totally right. Good thinking!" Gwen gave you a thumbs up. You both kept walking to the dining hall. The good was terrible, but it was better than starving, that's for sure.

You awkwardly sat next to Cody at one of the dining room tables, "So, how is it going with Gwen?" You asked, "Any luck?"

"Nah, she's totally ignoring me. I don't really know what I did wrong, did she say anything?" Cody asked with a disappointing sigh.

"No, not to me, at least," You said, "But to be honest I do think you should take my advice when it comes to her. Don't be a creep, try to play it cool! Don't make any weird comments, or do anything close to what you did last night."

"I see what you mean... I'll try my best! Wish me luck!" Cody said, and got up to go approach Gwen.

You tuned them out, and began to poke at the disgusting food on your tray. What even was it? It looked like a mix of rotten vegetables and burnt rice. How do you even burn rice?! You're supposed to cook it in water.

You picked around the vegetables and just ate the rice. At least it wasn't rotten, from what you could tell.

You finished the rice and threw out your tray. You decided to get to know some of your other teammates, but quickly changed your mind. You decided you wanted to help out Gwen. She had been helping you out this entire time, the least you could do is help her out a little bit.

You approached the tanned, rich looking girl from the other team, "Hi! I know we're not on the same team, but I think it'd be nice to at least know everyone. You're Courtney, right?"

"Yes, and don't bother introducing yourself, I already know who you are. Just know I don't really intend on making friends here. I'm only here to win," Courtney said, looking away.

"Riiiight.. well, I'm trying to see if you, by any chance, like anyone? I know someone who is really interested in you, so I just want to see if you're into them," You said, staying casual.

"Well, I'm not really sure," Courtney loosened up a little bit, like she had been dying to talk about this, "On one hand, that asshole Duncan is actually kind of charming, but that girl Gwen seems really nice.. I'm not sure which way to go, to be honest."

"Well, do you think Duncan is really worth it? Like sure he might be charming but he's a criminal!" You suggested, "It might give you a rush but he'd probably just end up dragging you down with him."

"That is true, hmmm... I'll have to make friends with Gwen, then. It might be hard, since we're on different teams.." Courtney sighed.

"Oh, it shouldn't be that hard, she's actually really friendly, and I'm sure she'd love to be friends with you! Take your time, though. We still have eight weeks," You smiled, giving a little wave, "Well, it was nice talking to you! But I should probably head back to my team before they assume things.."

You walked up to Gwen, and signaled for her to walk a bit away from the rest of the team with you.

"Good news! Courtney is totally interested in you! I talked to her about it and told her she should totally try to befriend you! She was actually kinda interested in Duncan too, but I managed to give her a big list of cons about getting too involved with him," you told her.

She blushed a bit, it was super visible with her pale skin, "That makes me so happy! Maybe something might work out with me and her!" Gwen said with a big grin on her face.

You noticed Cody sulking at the end of the dining table. Time to be useful.

Authors Note:

Sorry for the extra long chapter, I'm going to make at least one more chapter today, I just wanted to get this one done with and out, to be honest, but I got a bit carried away. Hope you enjoy!!