Chapter 2

Charlotte

I opened my window. It was around 11:30pm and I was finally going to meet with Cole. We were going to the secret spot by the Fountain Falls Motel. From there we'd take a short walk to the lake. And chill there while talking about our relationship, and where we'd like it to go.

I know how much he's looking forward to this meeting since we kept in touch through texting.

My bedroom was on the second floor. My house was a two story home with a basement. We were one of the wealthiest families in our very small gated community, Laudop. But we were all humble, except for my mother. I'd always thought that she was like that because she'd grown up poor. Not that I knew much about my mother's past.

I carefully slid the window up, then made my way down by sliding on one of the drain pipes. They had handles and I didn't weigh much, so it was a good arrangement between me and the ol' drain pipe. I could climb up and down on it, without it squeaking much.

The shorts I was wearing allowed me to move however I liked. My phone was tucked in my sweatshirt pocket. The hood covered my face.

I began walking towards the house of Michael McCartney. I went through his house because it was on the perimeter of the entire gated community. And it had a secret hole in the fence at the backyard. Michael never seemed to be home anyway, but that's probably my luck. Because I've only sneaked out to meet Cole once.

I tiptoed over the driveway and headed to the back. I walked around the edges of the yard, feeling around for the hole. I finally found the spot the hole was meant to be on, but I could only feel the smooth cold surface of the wall.

They fixed the hole then.

That wasn't in my plans, and honestly, I had no idea how to fix it. I slumped down on the concrete and tried not to panic. If I couldn't get through the wall, maybe I could jump over it.

I stood up at that second, and judged the height of the wall. It was a high jump, I realized, but not impossible. Besides, at that point my only other options were to go out through the main gate or go back to sleep.

I was not in the mood to be explaining what I was doing outside at this time of night to the security guard. I don't even have money to offer a bribe.

This was my only option. I moved back some meters to get a headstart. Then, gathering all the strength and momentum I had, I ran towards the wall...

And almost bumped into it, had I not stopped in time. That cost me, as I fell lightly to the ground.

What now?

I sat up and ran my hands through the end of my ponytail. Sitting there on the ground, I glanced around.

Michael's house was pretty much the same as mine, and I was talking about the build. Memories of me and a group of friends running around this very same backyard, playing tag, resurfaced.

There even used to be a trampoline we'd jump on. As my eyes looked at the patio, I found the small trampoline.

Guess I've been blessed with luck tonight.

After removing it's super tricky cover and dragging it to the wall, I moved back some meters again to get a headstart. I prepared myself mentally, and started running. I reached it and jumped, using the momentum I'd gained to reach the top of the wall with my arms.

For a moment, I was hanging on by my arms. I took a deep breath to focus all my energy on pulling myself up and over the wall.

Then braced myself as I tried to climb down on the other side. The climb was very ungraceful, to say the least. My heart was pounding because of the risk of getting caught.