Chapter 29

Charlotte

It was Thursday. And officially a week since I got the biggest, most questionable gap in my memories. I hated how my life became. I hated the gaps in my memories and the feeling of powerlessness that came with them. Normally, I was able to contain it and convince myself that I was fine.

But when one of your closest friends abandons you and your boyfriend thinks you're cheating, life tends to weigh heavier than normal.

I wasn't in a good mood when I left afterschool. I'd seen a very disturbing sight. Cole and Olivia. Her flirting was not my problem. In fact, my problem had to do with him actually enjoying himself.

I wasn't jealous. No, not in the slightest. I was hella angry that he actually gave in to her advances. How did that make me look? Even though we dated in secret, this was GoldCrest and sooner or later, everyone would find out. Whatever happened to our unfinished talk? Or our relationship, for that matter?

I got Henry to give me a ride to Golden Dreams. He saw me stewing and didn't say a word. Who knew that he actually was clever? He actually knew when to talk and laugh, and when not to.

"Are you coming in?" I asked him.

"So that I can bump into Alec? No thanks."

I softened my eyes a little. "Please Henry. I am going there to meet him, but he's not alone. I don't know who he's there with and I need you as a buffer."

He smirked. "A buffer? You could have sugar coated it, you know."

I playfully punched him in the shoulder. "Let's go."

I pulled him inside with me, for the second time that week. I didn't know what Henry and I were, but we weren't close friends. I thought that we were just acquaintances for convinience's sake. Our project had at least broken through a few boundaries.

And to think that he was part of my reasons for ruining my life with a stupid investigation. How can I still smile and laugh around him? Maybe I've become unhinged a little.

The barista told us to go wait for a waitor at our seats. Apparently, Golden Dreams Cafe had exchanged queue service for table service a few days ago. So Henry and I looked lost as we searched with our eyes for Alec.

My eyes landed on a mop of short ear length inky black hair. How does his hair always look so good? It looked like he'd ruffled it a couple of times, but somehow, it still looked good.

I would have ignored him, had I not seen the adjacent blonde head at the same table as his. His damn cousin. Why did Alec have to invite Mickey here?

I pulled Henry towards their table. I looked at Alec. "Did you have to invite him?" I looked pointedly at Mickey.

"Trust me, I didn't know he meant you would be here. I'm just as surprised as you are."

Alec gave me a shrug and I turned away. Suddenly, a vision overcame me.

"You bastard! You ruined everything! I'll never forgive you!" Anger simmered through her veins, enabling this complete outburst towards this new husband she didn't want, nor need. Shouting was just a way to conceal her broken heart, though. And her husband knew this. Maybe this was why he was always patient with her.

"Charlotte?"

I quickly snapped my head to attention. All the guys were already seated and waiting for me. Henry raised an eyebrow at me while the other two remained quiet. "Oh," I sat down at the spot nearest me.