Chapter 26

Charlotte

"Did you steal this book?" I shrieked once Alec left us.

Mickey smiled sheepishly. "Somebody had to."

"How did you even know which one to take?"

"You said it was emerald."

"I did?"

"Yes, when we talked a little Friday. Outside of the class."

I remembered. The fact that Mickey had stolen a book for me, for very important reasons, brought a huge grin to my face. "I'm so happy you did this," I said.

He gave me another brilliant smile and I allowed myself to follow him. We walked in comfortable silence all the way to his truck. During that time, I thought about yesterday.

"Can we first talk about what happened yesterday?" I asked once we'd gotten in.

He dropped his hands from the key he'd inserted in the ignition. He looked at me with an unknown emotion in his eyes. "I know I was forward yesterday. I just wanted to help, that's all."

"You didn't do anything wrong." I said. He then averted his eyes. My hand splayed its fingers across his cheek on their own, and I leaned in closer.

"I just wanted to thank you, that's all. Your being there helped me from almost breaking down. I really appreciate that," I said as I glided my fingers lightly. I pushed his inky black strands away from his forehead once again. Taking in the sight of his beautiful face was breathtaking. My heart started beating faster.

Once him and I locked eyes, I got lost in his brown irises. Somehow, he looked closer than before. And that allowed me a perfect view of his full lips. I looked up to meet his eyes once again, and upon seeing an unspoken question in his eyes, I nodded my head

My eyes fluttered closed, and I leaned in even closer. I was prepared for the sweet impact of his kiss. His kiss?

Immediately, I wrenched myself away. What am I doing? My frantic eyes finally looked up to Mickey's and he looked hurt for a moment. For only a moment, and then he composed himself and turned the key to start the engine. I moved further back in my seat and wished I could disappear.

Why had I thought that it was a good idea to do what I did? I shouldn't have led Mickey on. I'm so stupid. I'm so so stupid. Oh my goodness.

Once we on the road, Mickey asked, without turning to me, where I wanted to go. I asked him to take me home. But then I realized that my mother had told me to stay away from him.

"Please pull over," I said.

"Why?"

"Please." He sighed while he maneuvered the car and a few moments later, he had pulled over on the side of the road. "What is it? Are you feeling well?"

I wanted to brush off his concern because I didn't deserve for him to be concerned about me for the moment. "Yeah, I'm okay. We just need to talk."

"Why don't you want to talk at your house?"

"My mother told me to stay away from you a long time ago, remember?"