Chapter 19

Charlotte

I kept quiet as I realized the magnitude of what Mickey was saying. I couldn't wrap my head around it. I only had one burning question.

Why?

"Char? You okay?"

"Yeah, just trying to understand. Why are we being monitored?"

"That's the part I'm trying to figure out. But you're already helping me in–"

"What's that?" I interrupted him. I felt something, lurking around. More like someone. I became jumpy and inched closer to Mickey.

"What is it?" He quickly asked.

I mean it, Chloe's words rang in my head. I wished I knew what she meant. I wished my memories didn't have a gap. But that wasn't my concern at the moment. This presence lurking around freaked me out.

"Chloe," I muttered, barely hearing myself.

How could I, when her strong presence felt like it was being shoved in my face?

As if our movements were in sync, we turned around at the same time to lay our eyes on the blonde bombshell in front of us.

Grown up Chloe took my breath away, literally. She was suffocating me. Her hair was tied up in a tight bun, and a three piece suit fitted her luscious body. But I didn't have time to think about my growing envy, as she decided to speak.

"I thought I told the two of you to stay away. I didn't want to believe it but here you are. What's your excuse this time?" She said and I wasn't sure whether she was genuinely annoyed or just had an icy voice. It was probably the latter.

"I may have a Spark Chloe, but I have stronger senses than you. I told you they were still following us." Luke came out of nowhere. His grown-up body had defined muscles that were a little visible in his suit, as compared to his lanky form from school.

"Yeah, you were right," she rolled her eyes. Mickey and I just kept quiet through it all while inching closer to each other. "So, the excuse?" She asked again.

"We don't have one." Mickey deadpanned.

"Michael, my favourite pet. You should know that I don't like being disobeyed. I told you to stay away, and yet here you are with your little girlfriend."

My mouth opened, for the first time since the powerful pair showed up, but on its own. "I am not his girlfriend," I muttered harshly.  Mickey gave me a look with an unknown emotion.

"Well, you are to me. Just tell us what you're doing here. We'll know if you're lying." She retorted.

I wanted to shut down. Slink away into a hole and wake up in my bed. This couldn't be real.

"Looks like this is a problem. Let's go smooth things over in the car." Luke said casually. I immediately got the sense that he didn't mean we should try talk things out.

"Little Dea, I heard something happened to your memory. You don't remember what really happened last week."

"I..." There was nothing to say to that. I only wanted to know how she found out.

"A little birdie told me. I can tell you all about it in the car. Let's go," she flashed me a straight teethed smile. I looked at Mickey, heart hammering against my chest, to see his reaction. What did he think was the best decision at that moment?

"No," he said. His voice so low, I barely heard him. My mouth dropped open, surprised by the fact that he just openly defied her. The witch.

"No?" She echoed as her perfect brow raised.