Chapter 27

Charlotte

I closed the big white front door of my home, and leaned against it. Mickey was gone and he couldn't see me anymore. He'd never know that I felt lile this after he dumped me.

Why would he do this to me? I was pretty sure that my eyes were glistening with tears. Angry and sad tears. It was amazing how a person you've only known for a few weeks had the power to make you feel like this.

I remembered our many aruments. All of them were connected to the warehouse. The thing that finally drove him away from me.

When I'd been around him today, I'd felt a range of emotions. Happiness, desire, awkwardness and finally, hurt. It just wasn't fair that he wanted to stop being friends with me.

I looked down and saw the tiled floor, reminding me that I was in my home. My mother could see me any minute now and decide to question me about why she saw Mickey's car drop me off. And why I was now almost crying.

I picked myself up, mentally, and went up the stairs to my room. It was late, yes, but it wasn't dinner time yet. When I checked the time on my phone, it was 17:34. Dinner started at 18:30.

I needed a distraction and so, I spent that little time studying. But i was so distracted thinking about Mickey that I gave up around 18:20. I went to the bathroom to freshen up and cleared my desk.

Ten minutes later, and we were all eating at the dinner table. It had been a while since we sat and ate together as a family. I know it was only a few days ago, but it felt like more than that.

We were currently involved in small chat. Dad was asking about my boyfriend. I knew he wanted to know when I'd leave him, but I didn't know the answer to this question either.

"When did you last see him?" He asked.

My mom fixed her eyes on me as she waited for the answer. "On Saturday. I went to his house." I lied.

I hoped that Maddie would not spill this secret. And she didn't. Instead, her phone vibrated and the screen lit up with a text from, Tyler. Like Tyler, Cole's brother. I didn't see what it said because Maddie immediately pressed the power button and the screen went blank. I didn't miss the smile on her face and how she lit up as well.

Maddie and Tyler, interesting.

"Madelyn? No phones during dinner time. You know this," dad said.

She was quick to mutter a "sorry dad," as she put the phone in her sweatshirt pocket. But then her expression changed and became grave serious. "So how did the conference go?" She asked. I raised my eyebrows, finally finding a topic of interest.

Dad cleared his throat and took a sip of water. He kelt glancing at my mom and then at us. Finally, mother spared him and spoke herself. "The conference was fine. Nothing out of the ordinary." Lies.

I wasn't going to let them lie to us. "When you called us Saturday night, we heard dad shouting in the background. And then yesterday night came and you were both acting different. We didn't even have a family dinner yesterday. What was that all about?" Maddie supported me by nodding and looking at them expectantly.

The colour from my mom's face left. "I... Well, nothing happened. Someone pissed your dad off at the conference and that's why he seemed angry. He told me to get off the phone so I could call that person and fire them. He was still angry last night, and that's why we ate in the bedroom. So that you girls didn't have to see your father that angry."

I couldn't believe her. She was obviiously lying. They most likely had a fight about something she didn't want to share with us. But you know what? I was tired. I didn't care enough at that moment about her lies. At that point, I took advantage of the fact that we were all done eating. I stood up, "Maddie, let's clear the dishes and bring dessert."