Chapter 20

Charlotte

My mom dropped me off at school today. I was glad to be finally out of the awkward silence taking place inside the car. Well, it wasn't completely bad considering what Maddie did. She actually gave me a weird genuine smile, and I reciprocated. It was a very rare moment between us, as it had been almost a month since she last smiled genuinely at me. I wondered what I had done to deserve it. Maybe it's just her mood swings.

Once I was inside the school building, I walked up to Sophia at our spot. It was very surprising to find that she was talking to... Mickey.

What the hell?

"Oh, Charlotte!" She almost stuttered when she saw me approach. Their conversation immediately died, and that made me more curious to find out what they were talking about.

Mickey seemed calm and collected. Like I didn't just catch them red handed. As far as I knew, they didn't know each other. The gears in my head spun, coming up with absurd conclusions. What if he's the one she's been texting? Somehow, I felt extreme annoyance creep in at that thought.

"Hello. I thought you guys didn't know each other. Are you friends?" I tried not to let my feelings show.

"Not really. I was just helping him out with something," Sophie said, in a cool voice.

"I think I should get going now. Thank you again, Sophia." Mickey started to slink away, but I wasn't going to let him go that easily. I quickly grabbed his arm firmly. I think I saw Sophie's eyes widen a little out of the corner of my eye.

Back to what I was doing, I felt how firm Mickey's arm was. When I looked him in the eyes, brilliant brown eyes stared back at me and I wondered whether I'd be able to detect any lies. But deciding not to dwell on those things, I cut straight to the chase. "No, you don't. What were you guys talking about?"

"Charlotte, she's already explained. Don't you trust us?"

"It's not that. I'm just curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat," he said.

"And that means?"

"Don't go around asking about everything. Especially stuff that's not important." He said as he gently freed his arm from my hold. I let him go this time.

"Are you feeling fine, Charlie? You're acting weird." Sophia moved the attention to me. I wanted to give her a glare, but then I realized that I probably shouldn't. I realized how awkward I've made this whole situation seem. She must think I'm having some sort of trouble. But I was...

"Nothing's wrong with me. I'm fine."

"Well, if you ever need to talk, you can always come to me." She gave me a genuine smile without her signature dimple showing.

"Okay," I said. Maybe I could trust her with what's happening someday. Someday, not now. Biting those words back, I changed the topic. "Where's Chrissy?"

"She's with Blake outside, at the back."

"Typical Christine. She can't control herself around him. She's going to get hurt." I huffed.

"I'm sure she knows what she's doing," Sophie said, always the optimist.

We went to class after that.