Chapter 10

Charlotte

I ran back home. My bed was calling me.

That was a lie actually. I was so spooked at that moment. I couldn't believe that Chloe and Luke found out that we spied on them, but did nothing to us. Although, they did threaten us.

Think, Charlotte, think.

After a short time spent hesitating on my bed, I stood up and walked over to my parents bedroom. I didn't focus on the fact that it was dark, because it just reminded me more about what happened. My mind was overwhelmed, and it was too much. I couldn't process it all at once.

I knocked at the door and a few seconds later, heard the door opening. I closed my eyes then, knowing that there was no going back now.

I'd expected dad to open the door, but surprisingly it was my mother who appeared. "What's wrong Charlie?" Concern was etched on her beautiful face and her dark bob only made it more visible. I could talk to her when she was like this, soft and all protective. Although she rarely showed this side of her. I can count the number of times she did that on one hand.

I fought the urge to throw myself at her and hug her. She wasn't that warm and loving. "Something scary happened."

"What's that?" She tied her sleeping robe and closed the door. We both walked away from their bedroom and into mine.

"I think I'm in deep trouble," I said, closing the door. Purposely being cryptic because I was scared of what she'd say once I told her everything.

"You're scaring me. Just tell me what happened," she said.

And I did. I told her about tonight's trip, and how I was practically threatened by Chloe and Luke.

But I omitted a lot of things. I just couldn't bring myself to tell her these things. I left out the part of Mickey being my accomplice from the start,  and the part about the drain and it's creatures. I only told her that I met up with Mickey at Fountain Falls for the first time tonight, and from there we went to the warehouse where we were immediately busted and very much threatened by Chloe and Luke. Two beings I currently feared with everything in me. I'm surprised that I'd steeled myself back then, and managed not to run after seeing them being summoned.

She listened attentively, and kept quiet. Maybe she was gathering her thoughts. I didn't care at that moment. I wanted her advice only and what to do because I was freaked out. I needed her at this moment.

I decided to tell her the most unsettling part. "Mom, their wrists were glowing gold when they finally went away. They're not really human, are they?" my voice wavered as a lump got stuck in my throat. Tears were at the very edge of my eyes, bound to fall anytime now. I was wondering when all this danger would finally sink in.

After a moment, she looked at me as if she'd made up her mind. "Okay Charlotte, look. I need you to never meet up with Mickey like that. Only when you're with your other friends can you talk to him. I don't know why you two were meeting this late at night. Two, I need you to stay away from Chloe and Luke because they seem weird. It was probably a prank, okay? Whatever you do, don't say anything about this to anyone. Just promise me one thing, you won't do anything stupid like this again, okay?"

"What?" I asked, dumbfounded. The tears fell at that time. I heard her clearly, but I was in disbelief. I wanted advice and she wanted to pretend as if this never happened.