Worth

(Justin Bieber because RM's reaction to him in that interview was just hilarious.)

Taehyung sits next to me, not saying a word.

What do these humans want? Can't they just leave me alone?

"What?" I finally ask, stopping suddenly with my guitar.
"Just listening to you play" he says with his unique smile.

"Why do you bare your teeth like that?" I ask. Is he trying to intimidate me? But he's been like that since the beginning.

"Don't you know what a smile is?" Taehyung laughs.
"Listen kid, I know what a smile is. What you're doing is baring your teeth. I would know" I say.

"This is just how I smile" Taehyung says, slowly letting his smile fade.
"Oh" I quietly say.
"...It's unique" I mumble.

Suddenly he gets more energetic.

"Why do you call me a kid? I'm pretty sure I'm older than you" he teases, scooting closer. I shift an inch away.
"That's where you're wrong" I quietly strum the guitar.

"Mind explaining?" he asks.
"Not really..." I quietly let out.

Silence follows.

"You played beautifully the other day" I say, getting it off my chest and out the way.
"I'm glad you liked it" he grins.

"I can play you more if you'd like?" he offers, looking at me with cautious eyes.

I stop strumming and hand him my guitar.

"Now?" He asks, chuckling slightly.
"Why not? Might as well while you're here" I say.

"Alright" he grins taking the guitar from me.

I listen to him play as I dunk my feet into the dam. I sway my feet back and forth, making small ripples.

A few notes sound off but it still sounds good.

"You're not bad" I comment as he gently plays, lowering the volume.
"I try" he says, trying a more difficult melody but failing.

"Well, not that good" he sheepishly says as he stops and hands back my guitar. I try the melody he was going for, adding a few more notes.

"When did you learn?" he asks.
"When I could get my hands on a guitar. It is almost a compulsive need to play anything that can accompany my voice" I explain.

"And the other sirens?"
"They mostly live in the ocean and often stay there so the most they can do is find a non-rusting instrument, but they're not the biggest fan of human made inventions. They say it sounds alien" I say.

"So, do sirens have their own instruments?" he asks. I look at him.
"You're starting to sound like Jungkook" I warn.
"It's interesting" he grins.
"Right."

"Is there anything you want to know about humans?" he asks excitedly.
"I've lived among humans before. I know what's going on" I say.
"Even the radio?" Taehyung asks with a sly smile.

"Not that one. How does it work? Can you really listen to other people's music?" I ask, actually interested for once.

"I can show you the radio one day. I don't know the science behind that thing but it is super cool. Yeah-technological advancement!" Taehyung cheers.

Taehyung fills me in on all the technology I've missed. Nothing big but I am excited for the radio. Now that is a human invention that I must have.

"...Can I ask?" Taehyung asks as he swirls his feet in the water. His concentration is focused on the water.
"Sure."

"Will I...ever hear you sing again?" he asks, avoiding to look at me.
"Hopefully not" I shortly answer.
"Oh..." he says. He seems disappointed.