75. no kings or queens

Chaos. 

That was the best word I could think of to describe what was happening in Sanctum right now. Disaster was a close second, but I decided to at least try and be slightly optimistic. 

It had only been two hours since we arrived back from lunch, and in that two hours Jordan had been held at knifepoint by an Eligius prisoner which then somehow turned into a standoff between Russell Prime fanatics and the Children of Gabriel. 

All I could say is that our compound could not be built quick enough. Raven was estimating two to three years which felt like an eternity. Everyone was already breathing down each other's necks, how were we supposed to wait another three years?

The disparities between the various groups was even more pronounced as we sat in the tavern. I sat with Raven and a few others, going over the plans for our new compound. But my attention was rather divided. 

I was more preoccupied with studying the people around me. Moreover, my thoughts were also clouded with my hate toward Russell Prime. He was still alive, and there were some that wanted to kill him, some that wanted him freed. 

While I may have resolved to kill him myself, I knew that was no longer my decision. As much as I had cared for Greer, Clarke had lost her own mother to that monster- it was up to her what his fate was to become. 

"Aves? What do you think?"

I pulled my attention away from distraction to look over at Raven and a boy named James. Both of them watched me with expectant look. 

"What?" I questioned, giving my head a small shake. 

Raven pointed down at the plans. "What do you think?"

I glanced down at them, giving an absentminded nod. "Looks good." I agreed. "But, right now I'm more concerned about the powder keg that this place has become. Look at them," I nodded toward the different groups amalgamated in once space. "They're ready to kill each other."

As if on cue, a small commotion over by the bar captured everyone's attention. A girl had accidentally spilled Murphy's drink, to which she apologized by referring to him as "My Lord."

It wasn't hard to decipher...they still thought Emori and Murphy were Kaylee and Daniel. 

"Look," Murphy sighed as all eyes watched the exchange. "You've got it all wrong--"

Raven shot up from her seat, quickly making her way toward Murphy before he could say anything else. I instantly knew what her plan was- make everyone think Emori and Murphy are still Primes. It would at least buy us some leverage. 

I let out a low sigh as I tipped back the rest of my drink, giving James a tightlipped smile as I stood. "I'm going to get some air."

James gave me a small nod as I stood up, casting a quick glance toward Raven and Murphy before pushing through the crowd to get to the exit. I could feel eyes on me as I went, but I did my best to ignore them. 

As I pushed out into the fresh air, I almost ran directly into a figure. A small grunt fell from my lips as I looked up at who it was. 

"Jordan." I breathed, my eyes meeting with his. They were almost unfamiliar at this point, him having changed so much in the past few days. 

He gave me a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Hey, Avery."

I took a small step back. "You were just with Russell, weren't you?"

The only way we had been able to calm the Prime fanatics was to send Jordan in to talk to their leader. Somehow he had quickly gained all of their trust and quite frankly he seemed to be on his way to becoming one of them.