Part 18: Can't even walk through a metal detector

"We're too late!" Screams in my mind over again and again. Who's on that list? Did I just kill Nat? Did I just kill my friends? Did I just kill the rest of my family at the Avengers tower? My mind comes to a screeching halt as multiple gunshots come through the sides of the ship, narrowly missing me in the process. The walls around me exploded as Steve and the Winter Soldier fought each other in the chaos. The entire ship shudders as more shots tear through it. A blast hits the bridge I stand on causing the support to buckle and plummet towards the ground of the glass dome. It breaks easily through some of the glass, leaving me screaming to jump off the sinking ship. Jumping off, I'm greeted with a metal hand that wraps around my arm that throws me into a wall. He walks over to me, grabbing my arms with his metal on, preventing me from grabbing a weapon.

He holds his injured one close to his body. "Bucky..." "Shut up!" I'm pleading at this point. He's going to kill me. "Bucky...remember that day...?" He starts to bend my arm the wrong way. I want to scream. To yell. To cry. I stiffen a scream that rises in the back of my throat "The day you left..." My mind takes me away from this pain back to that beautiful day. The sky was pale blue without a cloud in the sky. Bucky wearing his uniform as he's bent down on one knee "Will you marry me?" He asked tentatively. Tears had already started streaming down my cheeks as I nodded my head violently "Yes! Put it on!" He slipped on the small gold band before pulling me into a kiss as he stood up. "Alright...alright! I'm standing right here!" Steve groaned as he stood awkwardly next to us. His pale sunken face shook his head "Well. At least she didn't go marry those other jerks." 

We all laughed together as Bucky held me close, examining my ring. He yelled out to the other men who were boarding the ship "HEY! I'm getting married!" The crowd cheered as my cheeks turned bright tomato red. He gently kissed the top of my head "It's just going to be a few months then I'll be back. We'll get married..." "At that little church down the street?" He nodded, showing off his pearl white teeth as he smiled "We'll save up for a house and we can start a family. Steve would be a great uncle." He finishes looking at Steve who nods proudly "Yes I would be." The boat blares its horn as other men say their final goodbyes, running up on the platform. My arms wrap him tightly as tears start forming in my eyes again. He pulls up my chin to meet his eyes "Hey. It's ok. I'll make it through. I promise." He takes my hands into his own before gently kissing the top of them "I love you." I say as he lets go of my hands.

They long to stay in his. In his warmth. But as fate wrote my story, he let go. Running to the platform before turning around with a big smile "I LOVE YOU!" He yelled back over the boat's horn as he slowly became a speck in the distance along the horizon. Tears streamed down my face as I sobbed on the platform. Those tears welled up in my eyes as the Winter Soldier stared into mine. The story came out in pieces but enough for him to hesitate. To look at my ring, my eyes, my truth. He let go of me. I smiled at him as the ship crashed through the headquarters building causing it to drop me into the building, disappearing into the remanence of SHIELD. The last thing I see is Bucky reaching out to me.

Insta: bella_billnye_
Tiktok: bella_billnye

Thank you for reading! 😘