Dora the explorer

Jay's POV:

"Finish it up soon Jay. Let's go eat something before we go home." Vihaan told me.

Vihaan is an AI programmer and also a game designer. We both are the masterminds behind the games developed by our company. At first, he was just an employee of mine but after a few years of spending together, we became good friends. I even shared with him about my blue moon jinxes. He would always get the information about my glimpses of the future but never react upon it. But when I told him about what I saw on the last blue moon day, he constantly teased me that I got lucky to have a beautiful wife.

For the last few nights, I couldn't sleep well. Thoughts of me romancing with that girl kept me awake and enthusiastic. A new update of our game was scheduled for tomorrow and there was plenty of work I had to do. Even when I had so much work piled up, the only thing that my mind wished to concentrate was on her. Again and again images of us posing to the camera at our wedding flashed in my mind.

I blame my age for being like that. I too have had dreams about my future wife. Now on seeing that I get to marry someone, assured me that I wouldn't be single all my life. Having a wife alone excites me more and on top of that, she is beautiful. Hence past few days were full of smiles and shies.

Vihaan and I decided to have dinner at our favourite Chinese restaurant. We drove my car as Vihaan didn't bring his car to the office today. Vihaan ordered a Chow mein and I ordered a Chop suey. Once it was served we both stuffed our faces inside the bowl.

"Mmm. Heavenly!" I moaned. At the same time, I heard a loud burp from the next table.

I turned to notice a couple giggling after hearing the man burp. I at once started imagining me and my future wife having noodles like they do and burping at each other's faces. It was gross but still nice. She looked even more beautiful when she was giggling.

That was when I noticed the girl the opposite of the man who burped. It was the same face which I would have replayed at least a thousand times since the blue moon day. My mind took a full five minutes to process what was happening and to come to a conclusion. I rubbed my eyes and looked at her once again just to be sure it was the same person. It was her. I was hundred percent sure it was my future wife who was having dinner with some other man. From the looks of it, they both were completely in love. The man had his hand on top of hers while they ate with the other hand. I looked at my future wife's lover once again. He was a bit familiar and I strained my brain to remember him.

I didn't take my eyes off his face until I remembered him. He was Arav. Sidharth's elder brother. He was in his late teens at that time so I could recognise his face now. Arav hated me from the beginning as I took most of his brother's time. Nonetheless, he consoled me when Sidharth died saying I wasn't the reason behind his death and not to blame myself for the rest of my life. It was his words that reduced my guilt to an extent. We lost contact after that and I'm seeing him only now after so many years. And in a position, I never wanted to.

The dream castle I had built shattered to the ground when everything dawned upon me. I had just misjudged my blue moon fate. It had no plans of turning into a fairy tale and had chosen to be a jinx from the first until the last. I was the fool here to believe good things will happen to me out of nowhere.

The chop suey at my throat refused to go down the tube. I could sense my veins popping at my temple and my eyes reddening. I didn't cry, not yet, for I expected this to happen deep inside.

"What happened?" Vihaan asked me noticing the change in me.

I collected myself and replied after a few minutes, "Life never wanted to go easy on me Vihaan. It's wrong when people say Life is short. Fuck man! It isn't short. Living is the longest thing anyone does."