A night to remember

Amaira's POV:

"Sir, what are you doing? Where are you going? Hospital is inside the city, where are you taking us?" I asked anxiously but he didn't reply.

I turned my head to see Jay but his eyes were closed. Is he unconscious? Am I left alone with this potential psycho killer then? I could feel my head pound due to the spike in my anxiety level. I caught Jay's arm and shook it wildly in an attempt to wake him up. Since he showed no reaction, I turned his head towards me and slapped both of his cheeks one after the other repeatedly.

"Jay! Jay! Wake up! Save me! You might die peacefully while you're still unconscious but I will probably have a painful death. Save me and go back to unconsciousness." I said and went on with slapping his cheek.

The cab driver stopped the car in the middle of a forest outside the city. It was dark and eerily silent except for the cricket sounds. He got out of his seat and my heart was at the tip of my tongue, waiting to fall out. His face was covered with a mask and the darkness of the night made it difficult for me to recognise his uncovered features. He opened the door on Jay's side and grabbed his hand.

"Hey! What are you doing?" I yelled. He paid no heed to my words and started pulling him out. He rolled him over and pulled him completely out of the car by making his feet fall out first, followed by his upper body. I got out of the car myself before he throws me out in the same manner. I rushed over towards them, gulping my fear and mustering the courage to save my husband.

Before I could reach them, the driver got into the car and locked it. He reversed the car and drew away from the place. My mind was relieved by a percent when the potential psycho killer vanished from the place. Yet my heart was thumping aloud with panic owing to the fact that we were stranded in the middle of a dark forest.

I looked around for some sort of help knowing I would be a fool to expect someone to be here at this hour on a new year's eve, unless they are kidnapped by a psycho like us. Maybe if there were psycho twins who think alike I would be lucky to have a victim mate.

Busy in my thoughts I totally forgot if my husband was already dead or still alive coping with a headache. There is no way in hell that idiot is going to die before uttering I love you. I won't let it happen.

I averted my gaze towards Jay to see him standing in attention. My heart which was at the tip of my tongue slipped out, startled by the sudden erection in front of me. I caught it before it fell on the floor and get soiled and put it back into my mouth. I swallowed it hard so that it reached my rib. Jay started walking slowly into the woods. His movements were uneven and his body swayed left and right. He walked sideways rather than walking in a straight line.

"Hey! Jay!" I called out. He continued to walk without responding. I ran behind him to catch up with him.

"Man, are you high on weed?" I exclaimed on reaching him.

"Eh?" Jay asked turning behind to look at me. His eyes were red and half-closed. Nobody would believe it if I say he is not intoxicated.

"I mean are you high on pain? Did your brain become faulty due to that headache you had earlier?" I asked him.

Without bothering to reply he continued to walk forward. Even though his steps weren't firm, it was fast. I was always behind him by a few feet. It was like he was eagerly strolling towards his favourite restaurant. At least if he walked in the opposite direction we might reach home in a day or two.

The land mounted upwards and I looked up to find a small mountain in front. There was some light on top making me doubt if it was a volcano. Jay climbed up the slant and I followed him to stop him from reaching the top. Walking on an upward slope was very difficult and I was not able to reach him.