005

✦ Chapter 5: The Girl on Fire ✦

IT TURNS OUT, Finnick couldn't have woken Isla if he wanted to, because the bronze haired man had fallen asleep, too. The two are woken up, instead, by Fleur. It's clear the sight of her two victors, cuddled up together before going back into the games, is almost too much for her to bear. Tears prick at her eyes as she rouses them from their slumber.

"We're here, dears." Her voice tries to hit its usual high, energetic pitch. But it catches in her throat as she turns around to dab at her eyes.

They straighten themselves out, and Isla is hit by a wave of noise once they reach the dining compartment. A crowd surrounds the train, cheering as they try to get a glimpse at the victors. Trying to see which pair this train holds. The excitement is only amplified when the doors open to reveal Finnick and Isla.

She grabs onto the hem of Finnick's knit tunic, not wanting to lose him in the swarm of Capitol citizens. Fleur leads the way, attempting to clear a path as she swats at reaching hands. They make it into the tribute centre, the door muffling the screams as another train pulls up to the station.

"Well, they haven't forgotten about you." Finnick smirks, looking down at Isla. She rolls her eyes. Although, this was good news, as it meant she was still in the running for sponsors. Katniss and Peeta might not get all of the gifts after all.

"I think most of the women were gawking at you." She makes a point to poke his exposed chest, as the tunic he wears is designed to have a v-shaped neckline.

They're ushered to the elevator, likely having to get out of the open before the next pair of victors enter the building. The button labelled with the number four is pressed by Fleur's pink nail, and they're jolted upwards. In no time, the doors slide open to reveal this year's design.

"Not bad." Finnick nods. Everything is in shades of blue, white, and grey. For some, it would remind them of the sky. But for Isla, it was a clear imitation of the waves back home. She takes it all in before she's nearly tackled to the ground by her prep team.

"Oh, Isla!"

"We can't bear it!"

"We'll make you look better than ever this time!" Their cries are so high pitched that Isla almost covers her ears. The colourful group grabs onto her limbs and drags her to her room. She manages to get one last look at Finnick's amused face before the door is shut by Kyro.

"They wanted us to do everything in here. A bit different than in the remake centre, but we can make do!" Viola chirps, sitting Isla on the bathroom counter.

"Yes, just like we were able to make do at your house!" Kyla nods in agreement, preparing the wax to remove the hair from Isla's legs.

They begin to remove her hair, wash every inch of her body, and rub ointments on her from head to toe. Her skin feels raw and irritated, but the special Capitol lotions easily cool it down and rid it of any redness. She can feel as Kyro brushes through her hair, using some sort of machine to blow it dried.