016

✦ Chapter 16: The Truth ✦

AS MUCH AS Isla wants to take her time to come up with a plan, she knows she doesn't have that luxury. So, as she prepares for her night with Titus, she tries to justify the only plan she can manage to put together in such a short time- murder. She'll kill Titus, sabotaging the communication system in the Capitol, and give the rebels an edge. Of course, eventually Isla will be condemned by President Snow, probably within minutes of the first sign of rebel activity on the highly secured broadcasting system. Who else would be to blame, other than Isla who he knows is to be at the Head of Communications' house tonight?

She wears a nice red dress that Orion picked out, matching it with a pair of simple strappy shoes. Not her average committing a murder outfit, but it'll have to do. She laughs silently at the image of her walking into Titus' mansion in her Hunger Games tribute outfit. Would he find it amusing? Fascinating? Or intimidating, maybe even repulsing?

A car waits for her and brings her to her destination. Of course, she can't see where she's going, but she knows. The trip to the mansion is a path that she could draw blindfolded. Of course, she'd have no idea what the path looks like if she actually walked the streets, but she has memorized every twist and turn, up until the exact amount of time it takes for the gate to open out front.

The chauffeur opens her door and allows her to step out. As she ascends the steps to the front door, the black car drives around the fountain and back down the long driveway. The large door to the home opens before she reaches the top, revealing Titus, giving her a warm smile. A part of her stomach turns at the thought of killing him. What will happen to his workers? Surely they'll be sent back to their respective districts to work. Isla is not only killing the man in front of her, but becoming an accessory to their demise, too.

She pushes the thoughts away and paints on a bright smile. She has to think as though she's in the games, she can't think about anyone but herself and those that are on her side. His employees are just collateral, that's the only way she can allow herself to see them. It's the only way she can convince herself to go through with this.

Isla joins Titus for dinner in the lush garden behind the mansion, the table is already set with a delicious smelling seafood platter. He pulls out her chair for her, and she sits, giving him thanks. He nods before taking his own seat. While he pours them glasses of a bubbling yellow liquid, Isla adjusts her napkin in her lap.

"How have you been? It hasn't been that long since your last visit, but I can't imagine being cooped up in that tower is very fulfilling?" The man asks, quirking an eyebrow. He takes a sip from his glass before tearing a leg off of a lobster.