017

✦ Chapter 17: The Reunion ✦

IT HAPPENS SO quickly that Isla's first reaction is to fight the arms that lead her out of her tangle of sheets and through the thick air. Fumes fill her lungs, and her eyes begin to droop. The men leading her to the elevator are not dressed in white like the peacekeepers, instead they're in black. Gas masks hide their faces, but they look at her with what seems to be distress as she fights against them. She's too confused to understand what's happening, but she doesn't like it, so she attempts to punch and kick at her kidnappers. Eventually, one has enough, and knocks Isla upside the head. Everything goes black.

She awakes on a hard surface, hearing the soft mumble of deep voices around her. Isla doesn't open her eyes, instead moving slightly to test her mobility. She's wrapped tightly in something, and can feel restraints around her wrists. She's been taken captive. But by who? The familiar humming of an aircraft tells her she's in one of the flying machines. Has Snow evacuated her before the rebels could try to save her? Or, did the rebels finally come?

Isla slowly opens her eyes, peeking around at her surroundings. She's on the floor of the aircraft, legs come from one of the seats next to her. A door opens and closes as another person exits the room. She can't tell if anyone else is behind her, but the room is quiet. By the looks of it, she's the only one on the floor. 

"She's awake." A deep voice speaks overhead, and Isla looks up to see the masked man talking into a radio. 

"We're halfway there, keep her contained." A voice buzzes back, and the man puts his radio back on his chest.

"Here," He says, unscrewing a water canister and tipping it towards Isla's lips. Isla hesitates, but begins to realize how thirsty she is. Her head is also pounding, and as she gulps down the water, she remembers the events that took place shortly before she fell unconscious.

She groans, sitting upright as best as she can. She's wrapped in a blanket, her hands handcuffed in her lap. "Was knocking me upside the head necessary?" She asks, cracking her neck as she straightens out.

"You weren't being very cooperative." The man responds, setting the bottle down next to him.

Isla chuckles, "Would you be very cooperative if a bunch of masked men kidnapped you from your bed in the middle of the night?" She gives him an amused look, eyebrows raised. She can almost see the smirk behind his mask as he replies.

"The gas was supposed to knock you out first, for a more... seamless experience."

Isla can hear a hint of amusement in his voice. "Might take a bit more than just gas to knock someone like me out." She responds cheekily.