006

✦ Chapter 6: Playing Nice ✦

FINNICK HAD TOLD Isla not to expect all of the victors to show up to training. They would feel as though they didn't need to, and that it was a waste of time. Honestly, Isla almost felt the same. She knows she's capable of killing someone in a second, but her ability to not run away screaming afterwards could use some work. So, she and the other District Four victor head down to the underground training floor together the next morning.

They walk into the room together, and Isla can see that they're later than most. Enobaria is sparring with a trainer, practicing her hand to hand combat. Johanna is naked and oiled up, ready to wrestle with a terrified looking trainer. The siblings from District One throw knives together at targets along the far wall. A chill rolls down Isla's spine. They're all very good at what they're doing.

Isla can see Katniss at the plant identifying quiz. Peeta has joined some of the other victors, and is chatting with them by the cooler filled with water. She can't help but find it interesting how opposite they are. He's incredibly social, likely buttering up the competition and trying to find some allies. She, on the other hand, looks almost hateful towards the others as she occasionally looks up to see what they're doing.

The girl's eyes land on Isla, and they stare at each other for a moment before her eyes fall back to the screen in front of her. Isla smirks, following Finnick towards the group of victors. She decides she won't spend much time actually training, but more time socializing. Peeta has a good strategy, making allies will be important, and Finnick has a head start. He's known these people for a long time, so he can surely get the two of them a good group to go into the arena with.

Johanna will be a given. Which Isla really didn't mind, as she'd grown fond of the girl's attitude. Other than that, though, she couldn't be sure who Finnick would want to team up with. Isla's only request was that the two District Twelve tributes were not on their list of friends.

"Tell me what you're planning to do before you do it." Isla warns Finnick before they reach the others. He looks down at her, a glint of mischief in his eyes. She squints back at him before throwing a smile onto her face.

"Finnick, Isla!" Johanna brightens up at the sight of them. She's talking to the blonde boy.

"Nuts and Volts?" He says, looking over at Wiress and Beetee, and then back at Johanna.

"Yeah, that's what we call them. He electrocuted like, six tributes, and won his games. Big brains, but they won't last a minute." Johanna shakes her head with a laugh.

"I kind of feel bad for them." Isla frowns. They're both middle-aged, and clearly haven't kept up their physiques. If they had even been fit at one point in time.