014

✦ Chapter 14: Conditions ✦

THEY'VE BEEN USING Peeta as a counter-attack against Katniss. Whenever Katniss appears on air, the Capitol scrambles to get Peeta ready for a broadcast. Isla hasn't seen Johanna yet, which concerns her. Although, the last time Peeta was on the television, trying to claim Katniss was also in the dark and asking for a cease fire, he looked alright. In good shape, even. But that's because they need him to look presentable. Johanna is never on screen, which means they might've already disposed of her if they have no use for her.

Isla hasn't had much of a chance to see anyone or do anything. She can look out of the large windows on her floor, overlooking the streets of the city, but the only person who comes to see her is Orion. She has tried multiple times to squeeze more information out of him, but ever since that first day, he's completely blocked her out. Any inkling of him being on her side is now gone. She understands, though. He's likely just looking out for himself.

Like clockwork, avox's present dinner at the same time as always. She often eats alone, unless Orion has been permitted to join her. He did explain to her that other than watching her, he's in charge of maintaining an image for the victors in the Capitol. Ensuring that although the few that are in District Thirteen are traitors, the ones that did not escape are still exactly what the citizens used to perceive them as. This is to ensure that after all of the commotion settles, the games can resume as they should.

As Isla goes to sit at the table, she's surprised to hear the elevator door open and close. She looks over to see the white haired man she hasn't seen since waking up in the hospital. He wears an ironed suit, with the signature white rose in the breast pocket. He gives her an almost sinister smile. Maybe it wouldn't seem so sinister if it weren't for the fact she knows whatever he's here for, it won't be good.

"Shall we?" He asks, motioning to the food covered table. Isla nods, and they sit at opposite ends of the table. The servants serve them, rich lamb and custard is laid out before her.

"It's nice to see you again." Isla greets, laying a napkin out on her lap. She's thankful she decided to actually dress for the day today. Often, she'll remain in comfortable silk pyjamas. It's not like she has anywhere to go.

"Yes, likewise, Ms. Dunne." President Snow smirks, preparing himself for the meal.

As they begin to indulge in the feast, Isla feels her anxiety begin to grow. The man hasn't said much, just eats his food and occasionally looks up at her with a smile. She returns it, expressing how delicious the cream on the custard is. He agrees, complimenting the eleventh district for still providing dairy products in bulk.