020

✦ Chapter 20: These Aren't Games Anymore ✦

THERE'S A KNOCK on Isla's door, and she opens it to reveal Gale, dressed in his combat uniform. It had been a few days since their encounter in the hospital wing, and not much more had been said about it. Gale tried to press, to ask what she meant. He asked if she had been talking about her and Finnick, or if she still held an animosity towards Katniss and that's all it was about. Isla wouldn't budge, just telling him to let it go and focus on himself. 

Today, the two would be going to the Capitol. The District Thirteen army had successfully set up outside of the city walls and were planning their march forward. Isla felt a vibration humming through her bones that she hadn't felt since the first day of the games. Both of her games. The adrenaline, excitement, anxiety, and fear of jumping back into battle. This time would be different, too. This is war, not a television show. She'll be going against trained soldiers, like herself, not a bunch of scared children.

Isla almost felt glad, though. To be putting her skills to use in a way that didn't directly involve the games. She grew up watching them, yearning for them. Now, they'd ruined her life. She was going to put a stop to them, the Seventy Fifth Hunger Games was to be the last Hunger Games in existence. Unless District Thirteen and all of the Rebellion's soldiers fail in taking over the Capitol. However, all it would take is President Snow's death, and Isla would ensure that that was accomplished. Even if the rest of the rebellion falls. And she has a feeling that she can rely on Gale to make it happen, she can see in his eyes that he feels the same. His hatred for the games burns brightly, even though he never had to be in them. She senses it's more of a defiance than it is revenge, like it is for Isla. 

After getting geared up, the two are loaded onto a hovercraft. It's heavy with supplies and soldiers, all headed for the frontline of the rebellion. "We'll be in the same squad, I requested it since we've been training together." Gale says as the hovercraft leaves the loading dock of District Thirteen. Isla looks sideways at him, analyzing his gaze. He gives her a straight face.

"Great, I'll be stuck with you even in death." Isla jokes, earning a playful smirk from the dark haired boy. His grey eyes find their way to the ceiling as he stifles a laugh.

"Am I that bad?" He asks, not looking her way. Isla wonders if he's being genuine, but the smile on his face says otherwise.

She leans back against the cold metal of the hovercraft. "If I want to spend my last moments being corrected on my aim- no." 

"It's not my fault you can't shoot a gun straight." Gale points out.

"I can throw a knife perfectly fine, though. There's no guns in the Games, in case you forgot." Isla dramatically leans her head his way, staring at him.