012

✦ Chapter 12: Love is Weird ✦

IT HAS TO be only the early hours of the morning when everyone is woken up by a strange noise. At first, it sounds like people are talking in the jungle behind them. However, as the voices grow louder, it's clear that the sound is people screaming. Most of the voices are unfamiliar, but one stands out to Isla, although she can't quite place it.

Katniss recognizes several. She's running into the trees, screaming different names. Prim, her sister, and Gale, her cousin. They're screaming for her help, or just screaming in pain. Finnick perks up as his name is also called out, and that's when Isla realizes the familiar voice belongs to Annie. She is begging for Finnick's help, and seems to be in immense distress.

"Annie?" Finnick calls, standing to his feet. He looks around in panic, trying to locate the source. It comes from deep within the trees, along with the others.

The two run off into the trees, and before Isla can try to follow them, Johanna has wrapped her strong arms around her. Peeta stands still, unsure what to say or do. Isla fights against the girl's grip, but her arms are muscular from practicing with an axe. Isla can't compete with her, but she still tries with all of her might. "Let me go! What if it's a trap?" Isla begs Johanna, who just shakes her head vigorously.

"We can't all get stuck in there." She says, not loosening her hold. 

"I don't think we can go in, look." Peeta walks forward, and is stopped by an invisible force. Like most of the different zones, it's walled off by a forcefield. But this one keeps not only the danger inside, but the tributes out and probably inside, too. "What do you think it is?" Peeta asks, looking at the two girls, and Beetee, with concern. 

It's Beetee who answers his question, "Jabberjays." 

Isla thinks for a moment, and concludes he must be right. The voices had been moving in the air without a visible source. The birds were liking hiding within the trees. And now, they've likely led the two deep into the jungle now. They'll have to find their way out again, as it's doubtful they'd be able to hear the others calling their names over the screaming.

After some time, the two come barreling back towards them. It's evident that they've discovered the source is fake, and want to escape the torturous screams. However, as they approach, Peeta waves for them to slow down. Katniss doesn't, and inevitably crashes into the forcefield. Her face is full of fear as she pounds on it, and Peeta tries to burst through to save her. He's shouting at her, telling her it's okay, but it doesn't seem like she can hear him.

Katniss collapses, clutching her head. Finnick lays down, covering his ears as well. Isla sits on the other side of the forcefield, unable to help and having to watch the two suffer through the screams. The Jabberjays circle them, swooping close to their ears. The forcefield has blocked their noise out now, too.