013

✦ Chapter 13: The Rebels ✦

SHE OPENS HER green eyes to see a familiar, bright white room. It's the same room she had woken up in two years ago. Again, she's strapped down and wires connect her to several machines, as well as pumping liquid into her veins. Isla doesn't struggle, just looks around, hoping to see a sign of Finnick.

Nothing. None of the others are in the room with her. All she can see is plain white walls and beeping machines. The door to her room is closed, and the window has a fog over it to keep her from seeing through it. She's completely alone, and that terrifies her.

On the upside, Isla is alive. Although, that may also be a downside, because she isn't sure what they'll decide to do next. There had been about seven of them remaining, if she remembered correctly, when the arena began to collapse. That means that the Capitol has to dispose of six of them. How, Isla couldn't be sure. Maybe they'll throw them into a smaller arena? She almost hopes for that scenario, because at least she'll be able to protect Finnick.

If the Capitol decides to dispose of them secretly, there won't be any way for Isla to save Finnick. There won't be any way for them to have a say in which victor gets to live. And that is what terrifies Isla. The unknown, the inability to do anything. She can't go through with her plan unless they're in an arena.

There's footsteps, and her door is opened. It's the last person Isla expects to see. She assumed President Snow would address the public, but keep the victors in the dark. Not visit them in their hospital beds. And certainly not Isla, she has to be one of his least favourites by now.

"Hello, Ms. Dunne." His deep voice sends a creeping chill up her spine. He has a smile on his face as he sits down.

"Hi." She responds quietly. She isn't sure what to say or do. She had expected nurses to come in and check on her in silence. For no one to come and answer her questions.

The President sits in a chair at her bedside, folding his hands in his lap. "So, as you may have realized, the games have ended prematurely for the second year in a row now." Isla nods, that was rather evident. The lightning had malfunctioned somehow. "Katniss Everdeen shot an arrow at the force field, destroying it."

Isla opens her mouth to say something, but then closes it. Had she done that? Was that what the odd line of light had been? "Why?" She finally asks, a bit confused at the logistics of it all.

"To fuel the rebellion, to escape the games for a second time." Snow answers pointedly. "As her ally, I assumed you would've been aware of her plan?"

Isla immediately furrows her brows and shakes her head. "I was only with her for Finnick. You of all people know I wanted nothing more than to kill her. I thought I left her for dead."