008

✦ Chapter 8: The Big Announcement ✦

ISLA'S WOKEN UP by Fleur, who instructs her to get dressed and be in the living room in fifteen minutes. Feeling groggy, she does as she's told, putting on a simple purple dress and combing through her messy hair. Once she joins the others, she sees that everyone is here once more. Clearly, her lack of Capitol appearances over the last year had caused the others to lose faith in Isla's ability to do an interview.

"Alright," Fleur begins as Isla takes a seat. "I got word that most of the victors are planning to try and guilt the audience, to try and make them feel bad enough to cancel the whole thing." Fleur looks doubtful, but continues. "You two are advised to do the same, but don't get your hopes up."

"Be sad, look good. Easy enough." Finnick leans back into the chair, unbothered by the task at hand. He's a natural at making people like him, much like Peeta is. Although Finnick is more of a charmer.

"We'll go over some etiquette," Fleur swats at Finnick's legs which are spread apart, "And maybe some points you can make during the interview."

"I don't really know what points there are to make." Isla speaks up. "None of us want to be here this time around, except for maybe Brutus."

"Well, then, it's good I made some cards then isn't it?" Fleur trills, pulling out two stacks of cards. She hands one to Finnick, and the other to Isla. "Each card has possible questions on the front, and some appropriate possible answers on the back. Why don't we practice a bit, yes?" She looks at the two victors hopefully, and they both shrug in defeat. There was no escaping this, and even Lucius and Estelle were encouraging the role-play.

"How does it feel to be back after all this time? As an adult?" Isla asks Finnick, reading the card he holds in his hand.

He reads the possible answers before choosing one, "Nostalgic, but in a sad way. To think this is likely my last time in the Capitol is extremely upsetting. I basically grew up here." Finnick can easily sell the words.

They run through a few more of his cards before switching to Isla's. She holds up the first card, and analyzes the answers on the back. They're all things she'd never say, but things the Capitol would eat up. It's revolting.

"You won just two years ago, and here you are again. How does it make you feel?" Finnick asks, his impression of Caesar causing Isla to stifle a laugh.

She chooses an answer, looking up at her district partner. "Sorry for some of the others, the ones who haven't been here in several years. It's almost unfair. It feels like just yesterday I was in this chair, doing my follow-up interview, right after my games." She frowns, and Finnick touches his heart.