009

✦ Chapter 9: The Alliance ✦

ON THE MORNING of the games, Mags wakes up the two victors. She gives them both a soft kiss on the cheek, and motions for them to put on the training clothes they had worn to the training centre. Isla and Finnick do as they're told, and then follow the elderly woman to the roof. They're put on separate hovercrafts, which Isla finds extremely odd, considering usually all of the tributes ride in one together. She gives the man one last look before being ushered away.

Once inside, Isla finds Lucius sitting on a chair, staring at her expectantly. "I thought I was going to be alone." she admits, going over to the man and sitting with him. He shakes his head, placing a reassuring hand on hers.

"They definitely didn't want you all together. But I have to get you dressed before it starts, so they must've let all of the stylists go with their victors." Lucius explains. The Capitol hadn't spared a single expense when it came to this year's games. Even last year had been the exact same process and training stations as the year before. This year, everything had been revamped, and extra measures were being taken no matter the cost, just to accommodate the victors.

Isla's hands get clammy as she realizes she's on the way to the arena. The feeling of actually entering the games for a second time is beginning to sink in. She feels the same nervousness as before. If anything, more so now, as before she had a sizeable group of careers to guard her back. This time, she is with maybe just two others, and everyone in the arena is well versed in killing people this time. She may have scored high in the individual assessments, but she wouldn't classify herself as top of the food chain by any means this year.

Lucius seems to be able to sense Isla's sudden change in demeanour. Usually, she's rather confident and unfazed. However, now, it's clear she's lost in her thoughts, and worried. "You're going to be fine." He reassures her, rubbing her back, his hand moving in small circles.

"Thanks." Is all she can say, breathing out slowly. The hovercraft rumbles, and Isla assumes it's parking in the underground landing. They've arrived at the undisclosed location of the arena. Of course, all of the victors would be immediately brought to their individual rooms, unable to see each other or the arena before the games.

She and Lucius are put into a small room, much like the one they had been in two years ago. A clear tube is in the corner, which contains the platform that will lift Isla up and into the arena. She begins to shake slightly as she stares at it, and Lucius busies himself with examining her gear.

"Maybe tropical, likely some bodies of water." He speaks up, laying out the clothing. It consists of plain undergarments, a tight black sports bra, and a jumpsuit made out of thin material. The shoes are the type of shoes that repel water, and there's a purple rubber belt that's thick and wide. Lucius explains that it's a buoyancy device, so likely made for the tributes less adept at swimming.