011

✦ Chapter 11: The Clock ✦

EACH VICTOR IS slashing, shooting, and fighting against the monkeys. They come from all directions, and jump from tree to tree around the pond. "They're mutts!" Katniss growls as the animals use their unnaturally large fangs and long claws. 

Isla focuses on Finnick, and keeping him from being overwhelmed with monkeys. Isla sends knife after knife slicing through the air, lodging them in the softest parts of the body she can manage. They land directly in their eyes, temples, and necks, immobilizing them instantly. She wields her dagger in her other hand, prepared for a monkey to get too close.

Katniss is pinned to the bottom of the pond by one, and Finnick kills it, ripping it off of her with his trident. They're overwhelmed, and Isla eyes the opening that leads to the beach. "Get to the beach!" Isla instructs, pointing towards the salt water in the distance.

She encounters a monkey that has snuck up on her, and slashes at it with the dagger. It seems to understand the basics of combat, as it humanly dodges her advance. It lunges at her, but she welcomes it, grabbing it mid-air. As she holds the mutt in a headlock, she takes her dagger and slashes it's throat. Blood gushes into the water at her feet.

Peeta makes a break for the beach first, followed closely by Katniss. Finnick grabs Isla's wrist, ushering her to go first. Isla wants to fight this, not liking the idea of not being able to cover the man, but there's no time to argue. They're halfway there when Peeta slips and a monkey jumps out at him. Isla's sure this is his end, as Katniss isn't close enough to defend him, and her bow isn't loaded in preparation.

Seemingly out of thin air, a dark figure jumps out of the thick plant life. It blocks the monkey from sinking it's claws into Peeta's face, taking them in their own chest. The monkey bites the figure, and Peeta decapitates it after recovering from the shock. Peeta grabs the figure, with the help of Katniss who has caught up to him now. They make it to the beach, Isla gripping Finnick's hand to ensure he's close behind her.

As they collapse onto the white sand, they can see the sun is rising. A soft, orange light is cast across the beach. The monkeys hover at the edge of the jungle, but like the fog, they're unable to pass through an invisible wall. Like the snakes in the finale of Isla's hunger games, the mutts are kept at bay on purpose.

The mysterious figure is revealed to be the female morphling, covered in mud and leaves as camouflage. She gasps for breath, and it's clear there's no hope for her. The wounds on her torso are deep, and blood stains the sand underneath of her. Peeta and Katniss are attempting to care for her, as best as they can. Isla watches from afar with Finnick.

"Why would she do that?" Isla asks, watching the two take the woman into the water. They're talking to her as she floats, Peeta pointing at the colours that paint the sky.