Chapter 2

Her legs hurt and her stomach grumbled. She hadn't eaten or drank water for three days and hardly slept. As she stood at the edge of the bustling city she felt immense relief and awe. She had been told it was small compared to most cities but having lived her whole life in a small forest village she was experiencing culture shock.

   She let out a breath and willed her legs to move towards somewhere she could eat. Once she got water and some food she began asking around for anyone who knew anything about demons and demon slayers but it was pointless. No one knew anything.

   "This is a complete bust," she said. The streets were nearly empty and she was sitting on a bench. She didn't have a clock but she'd wager it was close to 3am and all she'd managed was a change of scenery and a very sore pair of legs. She groaned, leaned back and whined slightly. How the hell was she supposed to get anywhere if she didn't know anything?

   "Hey, are you alright?" she turned my head to see a boy about her age with black hair and oddly shaped eyebrows. He had a yellow haori with small white triangles decorating it. She gave him more of her attention and turned more of her body to him to properly face him as he approached. As she did he paused.

   "Oh my god! You're a girl!" he said excitedly before pouncing onto the tired girl. Wrapping his arms around her waist she nuzzled his face uncomfortably close to her chest. Her body already ached she didn't need some weird boy clinging to her so she pushed him off rather aggressively. Truth be told she was pissed.

   "What the hell are you doing? That hurts and it's weird!" she yelled. He sat dumbfounded on the floor. Before she yelled at him more she noticed a wooden sword on his hip. Her hopes soared. The man who saved her had a sword, maybe this boy knew something about all that. The boy snapped her out of her thoughts by hugging her leg.

   "Please! You have to marry me!! They're trying to make me a demon slayer and I'm gonna die!!!" he said, his voice gaining volume as he spoke. Ignoring the strange proposal and increasing intensity he exhibited, she focused on the fact that he was to become a demon slayer. She grabbed his face and forced him to look at her.

   "Tell me everything you know about the demon slayers. How do I become one? What's Breath of Wind? I want to learn it," she said quickly, her eyes had a growing intensity that intimidated the poor lovesick boy before her.

   He didn't know why she needed to know about the demon slayer corps or why she'd ever want to join such a scary profession, but he could hear an almost saddening level of desperation and sorrow in her voice so he decided to stop crying about the need for a wife and help her out. Besides, if he could get a pretty girl to like him more he'd be content.

   "Uhm. Well the demon slayer corps is an organization that kills demons by beheading them with a special type of sword. You have to pass a selection to become a demon slayer. In order to pass you need to survive a week on a mountain with a bunch of demons. As far as Breath of Wind, I don't know. Every slayer has a breath type they use, I use thunder breathing so I can't help you there,"

   "Are you being trained by someone?" she asked, she gripped his face slightly more harshly and brought it closer to her own. The boy felt butterflies in his stomach at the proximity. He nodded, still confused but happy to be so close to the girl.

   "Can you take me to the one training you?" she asked, her voice had an edge to it he dare not defy. He sighed. He'd just managed to escape without going noticed and yet here he was about to agree to go back simply because a girl he found cute had asked him to go.

   He nodded and pulled away, somewhat sadly, but the girl didn't notice. She was over the moon at the fact that she'd get the chance to become a demon slayer and avenge her family and properly thank the man who'd saved her.

   While the girl was joyous the poor boy wallowed over the fact that a girl got him into this mess and just when he was getting out another girl came along and dragged him back into it. He got up slowly as the girl did to. He noticed her wince and could hear her more labored breathing.

   "So, what happened to you?" he asked though he immediately regretted it as he saw her face fall and heard a very sad sound in her heart.
   "Well. About that. A demon...well. A demon killed...my...family," she said. Her voice growing small. "And it caught me and cut my neck," she finished.

   "I'm so sorry. That's absolutely awful," the boy said, feeling even worse about himself. She shook her head, bringing her hands to her eyes to wipe away tears before they could start.
   "That's why I need to become a demon slayer. I want to learn Breath of Wind," she said. She once again looked at the boy before her with the same intense eyes. He shifted slightly, uncomfortable with her gaze and feeling embarrassed about his proposal.

   "Well, like I said, I don't know anything about Breath of Wind, but my teacher likely will, I'll take you to him, okay?" she gave him a nod and with that they began walking towards his trainer.

   After walking in silence a while the boy broke it by properly introducing himself.
   "So uh, I'm Agatsuma Zenitsu, but you can just call me Zenitsu if you want," he said, he seemed very clearly uncomfortable with the silence and the girl mentally slapped herself for not noticing earlier and saying something.

   "Oh! Sorry, I should've introduced myself way sooner before I asked you all those questions, I'm (L/N) (Y/N), if I call you by your first name you can feel free to call me by my first name!" she said with a soft smile that made the poor boy swoon.

   After the awkward introduction that broke (Y/N) from her intense thoughts of avenging her family, they had multiple jovial conversations about Zenitsu's trainer and fellow trainee. Before the duo knew it they were looking at Zenitsu's home as the sun began to rise.

   Two figures stood out on the porch who (Y/N) assumed was Jigoro and Kaigaku. Once they got closer and (Y/N) was actually able to get a look at the two men, Zenitsu stopped her and ran up to the older man.

   "Gramps! This girl wants to become a demon slayer!" he said somewhat excitedly. The other scoffed.
   "Well it's not like any girl would be coming here to see you so that was kind of a given," he said before rolling his eyes and bringing one of his hands up to fiddle with the pendants on his necklace.

   "Kaigaku-" Zenitsu started but was cut off by his teacher putting a hand up as a means of silencing him. He walked towards the (H/C) girl, noting the cuts on her neck and the fatigue evident in her body language.

   "Let's have a talk," he said with a smile. (Y/N) gave one of her own and nodded before following him inside, leaving the two boys outside.