Chapter 10

"Hmm, I see, that is quite the tragic tail. I apologize for your loss," Rengoku said, looking at the girl sitting across from him. She shrugged.
   "What's done is done, I just need to be better in the future," she said with intensity. The flame puller chuckled. She had lost her family but her mind was set on proving herself and insuring others didn't suffer a similar fate. He found it admirable.

   "Well then, now that our introductions are over, let's train! I've seen Shinazugawa-san preform the wind breathing forms plenty of times so I'll see just how closely you can replicate it," he replied, getting up, purring his shoes on, and walking outside with the girl following suit.

   Once outside she performed a flawless demonstration of the first form. From across the yard she looked back at her new teacher as he bore an excited grin on his face.
   "This is excellent! I'll see if I can get Shinazugawa-san to come by sometime tomorrow so you can witness the other forms!" he exclaimed, walking up to her. She grinned.

   "Thank you Rengoku-sama, I greatly appreciate it," she said, taking a small bow. He gave a hearty laugh.
   "Of course! And please, san is fine! Sama makes me feel more special that I am!" he boomed, his hands finding their way to his hips. She looked at him, unsure for moment before nodding, deciding it'd be easier to simply agree.

   They trained and Rengoku tested her limits for a couple hours before retiring to the house. It was starting to get late and neither of them had eaten anything. Rengoku slid the door open to reveal Senjuro, about to do the same thing.

   "Oh! Hello guys, I was about to go get you, dinner is ready," he said softly. Rengoku ruffled his hair before walking in, signaling (Y/N) to do the same.
   "Senjuro! Why is there an extra plate set?" a voice called from further in the house. Senjuro froze and turned to his older brother.

   "Kyojuro! You still haven't told him about (Y/N) staying here?!" he whisper shouted to him in a somewhat frantic manor. Rengoku hushed him, trying to quite him down.
   "Shhh, Senjuro, it's fine. I'm sure father will be fine," he whispered back, his voice surprisingly going down in volume.

   (Y/N) inwardly panicked. She didn't care a great deal about stepping on people's toes but from her understanding the Rengoku family was a long line of skilled demon slayers that all became hashira. She of course didn't know for certain, but their father would have most likely carried that on.

   "Uh, Rengoku-san? Why are you only now telling your father that there's going to be another person staying here?" she asked softly. The two brothers were getting into a rather heated whisper argument and her question seemed to reset the older one's brain as he only stared back at her blankly. A grin presenting itself on his face only adding to the look of utter confusion. Their father called again.

   Senjuro jolted at the sound of the gruff voice and it's significantly more annoyed tone before Rengoku grabbed his shoulders.
   "Just tell him I said to set another plate because we have a guest, you can say how it's all me," he said, leaning down slightly to match the teen's height. Senjuro sighed, a timid look on his face as he nodded.

   He walked off and Rengoku exhaled deeply, bringing one hand to his hip and the other to pinch the bridge if his nose. Looking over to his tsugoku he looked absolutely miserable as he signaled to follow.

   (Y/N) looked down, feeling like a lost puppy who a kid mistakingly brought home only to then have to try and convince the parents to keep. Her hopes of success were not high. Racking her brain she tried to think of potential places she could sleep but stopped as she walked into what felt like a wall.

   She broke free of her gaze and was met with her mentor's back as they were now at the entrance to a room with a table and a few mats around it. Senjuro sat timidly next to a man who looked just like the other two except for the stubble he had and the age he showed.

   There were two other plates of food set out and the older one looked first at Rengoku before landing on (Y/N), giving her a look that could kill.
   "Kyojuro. Who is this? Why is there a random girl in my house? Let alone a demon slayer?" he asked. He was livid and it took everything in the girl not to shiver at his animosity.

   "Father, this is (Y/N)," he said, taking a small step in front of her, "she's my tsugoku. She'll be staying here as I will need to train her. Due to her lack of experience I'm going to need to push her a lot harder so she won't be anywhere near you often. She needs a place to stay during this and we have plenty of space-"

   "Why the hell wasn't I told this earlier?" he asked harshly, cutting Rengoku off, "I don't want some inexperienced kid with a sword hanging around here."
   "I know, but father, I only cought wind of this a little bit ago and already wanted to take on a tsugoku. Can she please stay?" he asked. The two stared at each other, both with an intensity that would have made most people cave under the gaze.

   (Y/N) realized neither were going to back down. She sighed softly, making up her mind. Walked slowly out from behind Rengoku she approached their father. Her hands were shaking somewhat so she clenched her fists to stop them, not realizing her shoulders were also giving themselves away.

   All three of them followed their movements with their eyes, Senjuro was scared, Rengoku was concerned, and their father gave her a look that could kill. She maintained eye contact with the hand of the family as she walked slowly so as to take the steadiest steps possible for someone shaking as bad as she was.

   She finally got to his side. He looked up at her angrily and she slowly brought herself to her knees and bowed her head. She would have touched the floor hand her hands not been placed in-between.

   "Please, sir. I want to be stronger and I want to learn the other wind breathing forms. I have no other way of doing this without becoming a tsugoku to one of the hashira. I can do work around the house anytime I'm not training to make my stay worth your while," she offered. The older man scoffed.

   "You're shaking like a leaf," he responded coldly. She looked up and breathed in deeply.
   "I'm sorry! It's just that I find you really intimidating!" she blurted. The two brothers were in shock, the older one having to try to hold in laughter, as the head of the house looked at her in disbelief. He narrowed his eyes and got up, grabbing his food as well.

   "You don't need to help out with the house, you'll be tired and do a shitty job of it. Senjuro takes care of it just fine. Just stay the hell out of my way," he said lowly, walking away.
   "Yes sir!" the girl barked, her nerves still on edge from the encounter. Once their father was completely gone and out of earshot Rengoku laughed.

   (Y/N) looked over at him, her face growing red as he did so. She looked away, bringing her gaze to the floor and pulling her haori gently to cover her face. Senjuro, who was currently sat next to her, brought a hand up and pat her back gently. She groaned and let go of her haori and dropped her hands.

   She looked to Senjuro and smiled sweetly before looking back forward, still clearly embarrassed. Rengoku finally calmed down enough to speak and the two sat and joined Senjuro for dinner. Rengoku spent a decent amount of time teasing the girl as Senjuro reassured her it was fine.

   From and outsider's perspective their conversation would appear to be amongst three siblings. It was comforting. She may have lost her family and she had to leave Gramps but she at least would still have a place she could feel at home in.