Chapter 8

(Y/N) took a deep breath and cleared her thoughts as she entered the headquarters for the demon slayers. She wondered around for a moment before ending up in front of a large building. Rocks crunched under her feet as she looked head on, intending to knock at the door. As she was about to step into the platform she was stopped by a voice behind her.

   She turned around quickly as the voice had an urgency and edge to it she didn't like. She saw nothing and forrowed her brow slightly, bringing her left hand up to her sword and griped it slightly.

   "Up here," the voice repeated. The girl turned to look at the tree to see a man with black hair, a striped haori, and heterochromia sitting on top of one of the branches. There was a snake wrapped around his neck and both of them looked down at the girl with irritation and disdain.

   (Y/N), upon noticing the slayer uniform, dropped the hand holding the sword and looked up at him expectantly. From her understanding, this was not Ubuyashiki or Rengoku and she remembered Shinazugawa's appearance. Taking the girl's silence as an invitation to speak the man did.

   "Who are you and why are you here?" he questioned, though, demanded would be a better description. The girl standing below him knew better than to piss anyone off now. Despite wanting to ignore the man and go back to what she was doing she dropped her attitude and answered quickly.

   "My name is (L/N) (Y/N) and I've come here to try to become Shinazugawa-sama's tsugoku. Ubuyashiki-sama is expecting me and had my crow guide me here," she said. Despite innitially trying to can her attitude she couldn't help it. He looked at her like she was lesser than him and she wasn't having it. After answering she turned back to the building and started to step onto the platform she heard a thud and turned to see the man had jumped down and was walking towards her.

   "You can wait for Shinazugawa-san to come back from his mission then. Ubuyashiki-sama is unavailable right now," he spat, walking up to her. He was rather small, she noted, once she wasn't forced to look up at him in the tree. She sighed slightly, still trying to be more civil than usual (she had always had a slight attitude but after spending so much time with Kaigaku it had only gotten worse).

   "Well, uh, sir. He was already expecting me. I had asked about becoming a tsugoku and he said that he'd find a hashira to help train me," his eyes narrowed at her statement.
   "So you were lying about Shinazugawa-san then?" she sighed more deeply and responded.

   "No. Ideally I would like to train with him as I want to learn Breath of Wind but if I'm someone else's tsugoku then I can at least watch what he does from afar. I learned the first form by seeing it once, I can figure out the rest I just need to see them which is why I was going to Ubuyashiki-sama," she defended. Through the bandages on his face she could see he was opening his mouth, likely to oppose, before they both heard footsteps and turned to the noise.

   A woman with white hair helped a black haired man who was scared, and appeared to be blind, towards them. The man with the snake bowed and (Y/N), assuming this to be Ubuyashiki, followed suit. He smiled softly as the two resumed a standing position.

   "Ubuyashiki-sama, I'm (L/N) (Y/N). I was the one wanting to shadow a hashira and learn wind breathing completely," the girl stated clearly. The feeling she got from the man before her felt peaceful and calming, she felt her frustration from the man with the snake ease.

   Ubuyashiki nodded, the smile he bore never leaving and never feeling fake.
   "Well, I was going to ask Rengoku. Shinazugawa said he had no interest in a tsugoku so maybe you'll be able to convince him. But seeing as there's a hashira here," he turned to the man with the snake, "Iguro, would you have any interest in taking this girl on as a tsugoku?"