Chapter 26

"Genya-san! Hey, wait up!" (Y/N) called. He stopped, seemingly startled, and looked over his shoulder. His face flushed and he turned away once more muttering "shit" over and over just under his breath. (Y/N) frowned as she focused in on his voice. It may have only been a day but she supposed that Uzui's training was working as she could hear him well enough. She stepped closer, taking it slowly so as to not upset him or further strain herself.

   "Are you okay?" she asked tentatively. He nodded his head quickly but it was obviously not true. (Y/N) continued taking small, slow steps towards him until eventually she'd reached him and tapped his shoulder lightly. He jumped at froze, still turned away from her. While it was quite obvious to (Y/N) that he was incredibly shy, this was something else and in all honesty was starting to annoy her.

   "Genya-san, please turn around. Did something happen?" she asked softly. He felt his face go hot at the gentle request and question and it grew worse as she placed her hand on his shoulder.
   "I-uh. Just got back from a-a-a mission, is all. I'm a little worn out," he said. She wasn't convinced and he knew it. She pulled at his shoulder slightly until he did turn around with his hands covering his eyes and mouth. She was confused to say the least.

   "Genya-"
   "I'm sorry! I just really don't want you to see me right now!" he said quickly, his volume catching the girl off guard. She tilted her head, only more confused.
   "Uhm. Why?" she said awkwardly. He sighed and closed his eyes before dropping his hands in defeat. When he opened his eyes to look at her and went to speak she paused, noticing the fangs he bore and the dark sclera of his eyes.

   "W-why-" she started, bringing her hand to her sword. He put up his hands defensively and shook them in front of himself.
   "(Y/N)-san, I'm not a demon!" he said quickly. She paused and eyed him wearily. He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, looking somewhat sad. She resumed a relaxed position, taking her hand away from her sword.

   "I don't have any type of special breathing," he said. His tone was heartbreaking and caught (Y/N) off guard, "I've never been able to make my sword change color," he looked down. He sighed deeply before continuing, "I found out if I eat demons I can gain the strength you'd get from total concentration breathing and with nichirin bullets I can shoot of the demon's head," he finished, reaching into the back of his yakuta. It was only then that she noticed the shortened sword fastened to his waist with a belt. He pulled his hand out to reveal a gun, something the girl had never seen in person.

   "Is that a gun?" she asked before immediately kicking herself for such an obvious and stupid question. Genya didn't seem to mind however and smiled sweetly at her.
   "Yes, it's a shotgun specifically," he said without any trace of judgement. (Y/N) looked up at him, slightly confused.
   "Oh okay...I've seen a picture of a shotgun before and it looked different from this one," she said, tilting her head.
   "Well there's lots of different types, a more common shotgun you'll see is one with a single long barrel but there's also-" he stopped, his face being dusted by a soft rosey pink (Y/N) felt was rather cute.

   "Sorry, I can get carried away sometimes," he said awkwardly, rubbing his neck. (Y/N) giggled softly and shook her head.
   "You don't need to apologise, I'd love to hear more sometime!" her sweet voice made the boy swoon and he felt giddy at her genuine answer. The two smiled fondly at each other a moment before (Y/N)'s eyes widened and she brought a hand to Genya's cheek. She leaned in closer to him before speaking.
   "Oh! Good, your eyes are starting to look normal again!" she pulled away from his flushed face and grinned widely, "I'm glad, I like your eyes," she said before turning away.

   "Well, I've gotta go, I'm awfully tired, I'll see ya around Genya-san," she gave a wave as she continued her walk home, her legs still somewhat shaky. Genya felt like his heart was going to burst through his chest. Between the genuine interest in one of his passions, her face being so close to his, and the nonchalant compliment on his eyes he came to a glaring realization: he was utterly whipped for the girl. He turned away from where she'd headed off and groaned into his hands after putting away his gun.

   "Ugh, damnit. This is bad. I don't stand a chance with her, she probably barely even considers me a friend and she was just being nice. This sucks," he mumbled, his hands still covering his face. He sighed and lowered them, slouching with a defeated look. An all to familiar snicker made him jump and clumsily reach for his sword. As the sound hashira jumped down from a nearby tree and approached him Genya slowly let his hand drop. His face matched that of a tomato as the older man smiled smiled down at him.

   "So~ what was that all about, huh?" he asked in a heavily teasing tone. Genya looked at his shoes and played with his fingers behind his back, resembling a kid being scolded.
   "Uhm. It-it was nothing, sir," he said quietly. Uzui leaned down and held a hand over his ear.
   "Huh? I couldn't quite catch that. Could you please repeat yourself?" he asked loudly. Genya frowned at him, feeling even more embarrassed.
   "You're the sound hashira, how did you not hear?" he asked. Uzui chuckled and stood up properly again.
   "Ah forgive me, you're just fun to tease. So, onto more important matters. You seem to have a thing for my sweet little tsugoku, huh?" he asked.

   "Sir, I would very much like to go home now," Genya said. He was pouting, something the hashira found rather amusing.
   "Fine I guess, I've gotta make sure she gets home safe anyways as there's no way she'd survive a demon right now. Let me know if you need advice," he said with a wink, managing to make the boy's face flush even more. He seemed to disappear right before his eyes and once he did Genya sighed. He continued his own walk, wanting nothing more than to collapse onto a bed and never talk to anyone again.

Happy Halloween y'all, would you guys be interested in a (late) lil non-canon Halloween special?