Chapter 17

(Y/N) woke with a start, breathing heavily as she did so. She felt sweat form on her forehead before dripping down the rest of her face. Inosuke was laying on her lap while Zenitsu still leaned on her shoulder. She looked over to see Tanjio, with tears in his eyes, sleeping as Nezuko attempted to wake him. Kyojuro stood, holding a woman who was connected to him by a rope on both of their wrists, by the neck.

   She looked down at her own wrist, following the rope to see a sickly woman across from her. She was the one in her dream. With better lighting than the moonlight that had managed to trickle through the treetops, (Y/N) saw the dark bags under her eyes and the actual severity of her bruising.

   "What happened to you?" (Y/N) asked. The woman gave her a long, sad look.
   "I have leukemia. We're all terminally ill," she went on, gesturing to all those that were tied to the slayers. They all looked pale with shadows under their eyes. (Y/N) frowned, feeling pity for them, "Enmu promised a happy dream for us to die during if we assisted his plan," she explained, undoing the rope's knot on her wrist. She stood slowly, walking to the front of the car and sitting on the floor. "I won't interfere with you guys anymore, I'm far too tired and I don't want to get any more bruises."

   (Y/N) pulled at the knot and quickly took it off, carefully moving Inosuke and Zenitsu so she could stand. Nezuko ran to her, saying something that was muffled by the muzzle, and pointing to her sleeping brother. He was stirring, but still out of it. (Y/N) looked back at the ill woman, her hand on Nezuko's head in an attempt to comfort her. She didn't like demons but the people she cared about had accepted the girl and she hadn't harmed anyone.

   "How do we wake them?" (Y/N) asked. The woman shrugged.
   "I don't know. But I'm fairly certain they have to wake themselves up," she said before looking down and running her finger along the grooves of the floorboards. (Y/N) didn't trust the woman fully but she supposed that with Nezuko there there was nothing she could do.

   "Nezuko, I'm going to run to the front of the train then the back and verify everyone's safety. Can keep trying to wake them?" (Y/N) asked, holding her hands and looking into her eyes. The demon gave a "Mhm!" and nod in response. (Y/N) let her hands go and in almost an instant was a few cars down, trying to go to the front as quickly as possible so she could make her way back.

   As she got to the end of the passenger cabs she started checking on them, seeing everyone asleep but otherwise unaffected. As she was doing so a chill ran down her spin and she looked to the conductor's cab with a frenzied expression. There was surely a demon beyond the door. She took a step forward, wondering how not only her, but Kyojuro hadn't noticed the presence.

   Her hand was about to slide the door open when she heard a thud from the roof. She pulled her hand back and held the hilt of her sword, ready to draw it in a moment's notice. She stepped back, going towards the door she entered the cab in and paused, listening. There was certainly something up there, most likely towards the middle of the car. She opened the door and jumped up.

   Once on the roof she saw Tanjiro, who appeared to be knocked out, starting to fall off the roof before catching himself and charging again. He was running towards a demon dressed in a tail coat and pinstripe pants. (Y/N) noticed his eyes, one with a number: one, and the other with a line. Lower moon one.

   The demon smiled wickedly at the newcomer.
   "The tsugoku! You may not be exactly on par with a hashira but I'm sure that man will still be very pleased at your erasure," he said. His tone of voice sounded erotic, like he derived a great deal of pleasure from this. It disgusted the girl. Tanjiro looked over his shoulder to see who had joined him on the roof, letting out a sigh of relief for the backup and to see that she was safe.

   "You're name is Enmu, right?" (Y/N) said with animosity in her voice. Tanjiro looked confused for a moment at how she knew his name but appeared to brush it off. Enmu's face flushed as she drew her sword, taking on the stance necessary to perform the first form for breath of wind.

   "Ooh!~ How exhilarating! She knows my nammme!~" he practically moaned, his hands holding his cheeks as he did. (Y/N) and Tanjiro both gave him a disgusted look as he trailed his hands down his body and hugged himself. "I think I'll kill all your friends first so that I can see a look of utter dispair on your face," he said, looking through half lidded eyes at the girl.

   Her and Tanjiro charged towards him, weapons ready. The demon hummed holding his right hand out and putting them to sleep. (Y/N)'s body hit the roof before she woke herself up. She groaned at the pain quickly regaining her composure and getting up. As she did, Tanjiro decapitated him. (Y/N) on at the scene, confused.

   "That-that was too easy," Tanjiro said, looking over at the girl, "Unless he was weaker than the one on the mountain," he more or less said to himself. It was difficult to make out due to the wind but (Y/N) caught it as shook her head.
   "The one on that mountain was lower moon five, right? This one's rank is lower moon one, he'd no doubt be stronger," she said. Tanjiro frowned, looking at the body. It wasn't turning to dust.

   "I see you're confused! I'll explain to you two in a simple way you'd understand," the voice of Enmu sounded. They turned to see his head being held by a fleshy apparatus. "That wasn't my real body! While you all were snoozing away I fused with the train," he explained. (Y/N) felt sick to her stomach, gripping her sword and readying her stance before using the first form of breath of wind.

   Enmu disappeared into the roof of the train, laughing, as (Y/N) shouted in frustration.
   "(Y/N)-san! Let's get down to the others!" Tanjiro called. The girl sighed before nodding and heading back into the train. Once they entered they saw that everything in the train was covered by flesh. Some spread out, reaching towards passengers.

   The two slayers cut at it but they regenerated almost as quickly as they were removed. They heard chuckling once more as Enmu patronized them. (Y/N) was about to say something but was cut off by the demon's cry's of pain as the train jolted.

   Before they knew it, Kyojuro was at their side, his usual smile as present as ever.
   "I'm glad you two are okay! Tanjiro-san! Go to the the front of the train a behead the demon with the boar boy! (Y/N)-san! Come with me to cover the back five cars, yellow boy and demon girl have the front three!" he instructed. (Y/N) nodded, begining to follow before Tanjiro stopped them.

   "B-But Rengoku-sama, the demon is the train, it doesn't have a neck!" he expressed. Kyojuro chuckled at him.
   "It's a demon, boy, every demon has a neck!" he said before disappearing to the back of the train. (Y/N) pat his shoulder and shot him a smile before taking off to the back of the train as well.

I feel like I'm rushing through this part because I have a more interactions planned with Genya after this and I wanna get to that so if this comes off as rushed I'm sorry •́  ‿ ,•̀