Chapter 7

The two teens looked over to see the head and shoulders of the demon as her giggle turned into a full blown belly laugh. (Y/N) forrowed her brow at her. Zenitsu had pissed her off but she'd be able to take it out on the demon at least but now it was laughing at her?

   "Hey! Why the hell are you laughing, huh?" Zenitsu yelled at the laughing demon. Both of them were starting to see red. As she continued to cackle at them Zenitsu walked up, not quite registering that he now stood alongside (Y/N) with his feet now passing the water's edge.

   She suddenly stopped laughing and whipped her head towards them, a pop ringing out as her neck cracked. She chuckled and smirked at them.
   "I've got you now," she mumbled, her voice far more gritty and rough than before. She swam towards the two, reaching them withing seconds, and stuck two clawed hands towards them with nails jutting out like knives.

   (Y/N) dodged but Zenitsu ended up being grabbed and dragged under the water. Seeing her companion struggle for air in the demon's grasp made her loose any anger she harbored for him as she tried to think of how to help him. Panic seeped in as it became more difficult to think logically. She looked up when the demon started cackling again.

   "How fun! My emotional mist even works on trained demon slayers!" she said. Her voice was awful to hear, it seemed it only sounded nice when she sung.
   "What the hell does that mean?" (Y/N) shouted. If Zenitsu was under any longer he'd die.

   "My demon art allows me to create a must that manipulates emotions, it's quite simple really but I can't say I'm surprised you couldn't deduce that from the name alone," she answered, rolling her eyes. She clearly felt she had already won. One of them would be dead in moments, they'd already lost consciousness, and the other was loosing their tact.

   (Y/N) noticed a movement in the water and quickly took a few steps back onto the dry land.
   "What the hell? You know, you can't save your friend or cut my head off from over there. Stupid girl. Are you really going to leave him to die? I guess the effect of my mist most have been extra potent-" she was cut off by a large splash as Zenitsu kicked her away and emerged from the water. He managed to get one good breath of air in and out, despite the water in his lungs, and unleashed the first form of thunder breathing.

   The attack missed the demon's neck but had managed to touch the water, electrifying it and shooting the demon. Before she could get her wits about her (Y/N) used wind breathing's first Form to end her life. Her head landed into the dirt just outside of the water and slowly began to turn to dust. She cursed the two in her last moments before she was gone forever.

   (Y/N) shook her head and quickly sheathed her sword. Zenitsu had collapsed after he attacked and wasn't breathing. (Y/N) began to press as hard as she could on his chest. She had heard from a neighbor or maybe even her father, that this could help but you need to push hard enough to break the ribs. She didn't want to hurt him more but if it saved him she'd try.

   She sat pushing harshly on his chest, occasionally breathing into his mouth, for what felt like hours before he finally coughed up some of the water and began breathing again. The sun had began to rise and the mist that had plagued the place before was completely gone. As Zenitsu coughed up more water (Y/N) gently rested her head on his chest, tears flowing down freely from her eyes.

   "Ughhh what happened. I thought I was gonna die. I thought I did die," he mumbled, still coughing occasionally. His breathing was still labored but he was at least breathing. (Y/N), still laying on his chest turned her head to him, resting her ear over his heart.

   "After we fought the demon grabbed you and pulled you under. She said she had a mist that messes with emotions which is why we were both so angry. When you lost consciousness you attacked her and electrified the water. It stunned her so I was able to decapitate her," (Y/N) answered.

   He hummed in response. Usually he'd deny her claims of him being a rather exceptional slayer when unconscious but he was far too tired.
   "I'm sorry for what I said. I think what you're doing is admirable and you're able to stick to you goals even if it's scary," he said softly.
   "I'm sorry too. You're not a hindrance and I'm glad you're a slayer with me," (Y/N) replied. They both fell back into silence as the warm sun was starting to dry their clothes a bit.

   "(Y/N)-chan. One last thing," Zenitsu said. The girl turned her head up slightly, looking at his chin and hummed. He lifted his head to make eye contact before continuing. "Why does my chest hurt so bad?" (Y/N) blushed and quickly lifted her head, mentally slapping herself for laying on him despite having just performed cpr on him.

   "Well, in order to resuscitate you I had to push really hard on your chest and your ribs...might have uh...now don't freak out it's not as bad as it sounds," (Y/N) began as Zenitsu sat up into a sitting position, "but your ribs are cracked. I heard a crack while I was trying to get you to breath. I don't think it's completely broken but it's gonna hurt to cough for a couple weeks," (Y/N) answered as Zenitsu grew panicked.

   "B-B-But (Y/N)-channnn!! I'm gonna have to fight demons all on my own because you're going to the hashira! How can I do that with cracked ribs??!!" he cried. If the townsfolk hadn't already woken up they certainly would have now.
   "Oh c'mon. You've been struck by lightning, you'll be fine," (Y/N) said with an eye roll as Zenitsu still sat sniffling.

   (Y/N) smiled softly and opened her arms as an invitation for a hug. Zenitsu quickly went to her and nuzzled into the crook of her neck. They stayed that way for a while, enjoying the moment seeing as it'd be quite some time before either could see each other again.

   When it finally came time to leave Zenitsu only followed his sparrow after a firm scolding from (Y/N). He left to a house that was located a little further off of a town and (Y/N) left towards the headquarters for the demon slayers, her crow having already informed the head of the corporation that she'd be arriving.