Chapter 18

(Y/N) and Kyojuro both worked diligently to keep the passengers in the back safe. She had a feeling he would have been just fine protecting the passengers himself and wanted to test both Tanjiro and Inosuke. She would have rather helped kill the perverted demon herself but she did trust the two boys ability to handle it themselves. Besides, she wouldn't have gone against Kyojuro.

   It didn't seem like long before the train jumped off the tracks. A horrible screeching sounded throughout the entirety of it and passengers, still unconscious, started to fly out of their seats. Kyojuro and (Y/N) worked to catch them before they hurt themselves falling as the train finally hit the ground. They made sure everyone was safe and checked in with Nezuko and the now awake Zenitsu before heading out of the train.

   Inosuke went on about beating someone up while Tanjiro laid on the ground, weakly saying that it wasn't necessary. (Y/N) smiled at the scene, she was starting to feel exhaustion creep towards her. Letting out a sigh she looked up at the stars as Kyojuro spoke with Tanjiro. She looked back and frowned slightly, noticing the gash in his abdomen but noted with Kyojuro's help he had it under control. She walked towards Zenitsu who was laying on the ground panting while hugging Nezuko's box. She assumed the demon was already inside, likely to sleep as she crouched down.

   She pet his hair softly and he looked up at her and beamed.
   "We did it, (Y/N)-chan!" he said with glee she smiled and opened her mouth to reply before feeling an awful presence. She withdrew her hand and stood, turning to see a demon with lines marking his body swinging at Tanjiro before being stopped by Kyojuro splitting his arm down the middle.

   Kyojuro's smile was gone causing a unsavory pool of anxiety to form in her stomach. She had seen the way his face would drop before but never like this. There seemed to be a shadow that was cast over him. She looked at the demon as she stepped towards Kyojuro and her anxiety grew ten times worse. The kanji in his eyes revealed him to be upper rank three.

   "What's he doing here?" Tanjiro said weakly. He had propped himself up on his elbows and wheezed slightly before regaining total concentration breathing. (Y/N) gave him a quick glace before going back to look at the demon. The demon's arm had already been healed as he licked up it, cleaning it of blood while staring at them. He smirked and cocked an eyebrow.

   "That's quite the nice blade you've got there," he said. His voice had a slight rasp to it.
   "Why did you attack an injured person?" Kyojuro demanded.
   "I thought he might get in the way of you and I," he answered. Kyojuro seemed irked at the answer.
   "Oh? Did we have something to talk about? I'll have you know, despite it being our first time meeting I absolutely despise you."

   The demon grinned and narrowed his eyes slightly.
   "Well I despise weak humans. They absolutely disgust me," he said, still keeping his grin. He appeared to be amused by the slayers lined up before him.
   "Then I don't think we can ever get along," Kyojuro said. The demon chuckled.

   "Be that as it may, I would like to make you an offer. Why don't you become a demon?" he smiled, holding his hand out slightly.
   "No thanks," the demon's eyes narrowed.
   I can tell just by looking at you, you're strong. You're fighting spirit has been tempered like fine steel. You're a hashira, huh? Your name?"

   "I am flame hashira Rengoku Kyojuro," he answered simply. The demon hummed. (Y/N) furrowed her brows at Kyojuro, wondering why in the hell he'd give his name to such a foul creature.
   "I am Akaza. Kyojuro," (Y/N) cringed at hearing 'Akaza' use his first name without any honorifics. He didn't have the right, "let me explain to you why despite being a hashira you'll never reach perfection. You're a mere human. You'll grow old and die before you reach that peak. But if you became a demon you could spend the next hundred, even two hundred years growing stronger," he outstretched his hand and tilted his head, smiling at the hashira.