Chapter 4

(Y/N) ran quickly along with her fellow testers, dragging Zenitsu along with her. His protests fell onto deaf ears as the excited girl looked for a calm spot to await nightfall. Her mind was solely set on becoming a demon slayer and gaining the respect of the hashira who saved her. When she saw her family again she could look to them with pride knowing she turned herself into someone worth while.

   Once the pair reached a small clearing in the trees the girl let her companion's sleeve go.
   "(Y/N)-channn, why did you have to drag us all the way over here?" he whined. (Y/N) giggled at him and pat his head gently.

   "Because, Zenitsu-kun, we've come here to become demon slayers and that's what I intend to make happen," she answered, her voice came out as a whisper and was full of giddy excitement at the prospect of proving herself after the two long years of perfecting her swordsmanship and the one form of wind breathing she knew.

   "I don't see why we don't just run away from here and go get married! Wouldn't that be the life?" the boy fantasized, "Think about it (Y/N)-chan, we could live happily ever after in a secluded cottage in the forest!" the girl sighed.

   "Zenitsu-kun, I will never live in a corset again," she said softly.
   "It doesn't have to be a forest!" he said, a hopeful gleam in his eyes. She shook her head.
   "We came here to become demon slayers! Gramps didn't spend all that money to pay off your debts for nothing!" his face fell at the point she made.

   "Besides, I'm sure you'll be able to find a girl even prettier than me if you join the corps and travel!" she said with a smile. He perked up at the idea.
   "Well I doubt that...but okay! But if I don't then you have to marry me okay!!" he said, desperation lacing his voice.

   She chuckled and looked around at the trees surrounding them. The shadows cast by the trees seemed to grow sinister as the sun set. (Y/N) gently brought her hand to rest on the guard to the sword Jigoro had lent her for the occasion as she felt a sickening presence surround them.

   As the sun continued it's descent behind the mountains lined with wisteria flowers, Zenitsu's anxiety grew.
   "Do you...do you hear that?" he called out softly, gently taking hold of her wrist with one hand and her ring and pinky fingers with the other.

   "No, but I do feel it," he shivered against her, "It's definitely demons," she mumbled, gently pulling her arm away from him to draw her sword. A demon soon showed itself as the last rays of light disappeared behind the horizon. It felt at least ten degrees cooler and (Y/N) couldn't tell if it was from the lack of light or the monster in front of her.

   "How lovely, two slayers together. I'll get twice as much food," the demon spoke. It's voice was low and deeply unpleasant to the pair and for a moment (Y/N) froze in fear. She was snapped out of it by hearing Zenitsu's small whimper from behind her.

   With a deep breath she lunged forward calling out her attack. The demon's head was lopped off in mere moments, a few branches falling as well due to being caught in the attack.

   "Wow! You're incredible!" her companion complemented. She took a moment before responding. When she turned to him there was a familiar smile upon her face.
   "Thank you, Zenitsu-kun!"

   The boy was beaming at her, happy to not only have a strong protector, but a good friend to accompany him the next week in the demon infested mountain.

✩☆★☆✩

   The test had finally finished. Only five of those who entered made it out alive and mostly unscathed. (Y/N) took note of the fact that there was only one person who looked completely free of dirt, fatigue, and injury (Zenitsu would have been the same way but (Y/N) had forced him to fight some demons on his own due to her being tired, sore, and just a bit irritated).

   The person showing no clear signs they'd fought in the woods for five days was a girl with black hair tied to the side with a butterfly hairpiece and a somewhat blank smile. Before (Y/N) could get the chance to really ponder on how skilled the girl might be, the two children spoke.

   "Congratulations, you're all demon slayers after this. Please come collect your uniforms and swords. A crow will be provided to you all to receive messages," the one with black hair said.
   "Your swords will be done within the next week," the one with white hair added.

   An angry looking guy with buzzed hair stepped up to her and grabbed her by her hair.
   "I need my sword now! Give it to me!" he demanded. A boy with a scar on his forehead and a blue kimono with clouds on it spoke up.

   "Hey! You can't just grab her like that! Let her go!" his hand was placed on his sword though that didn't seem to be a conscious action.
   "She said it'd be done within the week, relax," (Y/N) added. Truth be told she was pissed. Who gave him the right to be an ass to everyone else?

   He scoffed and quickly picked an ore from which his sword would be forged before walking away. The boy was far enough away from his path to avoid him, but (Y/N) was not. He bumped her shoulder rather harshly, nearly knocking her back.

   "Watch where your going," she sneered at him. He looked over his shoulder at her, clear anger written on his face. He wasn't much taller than her or any more outwardly muscular and she truly wasn't intimidated by him in the slightest. She opened her mouth to speak before quickly closing it.

   The scar on his face reminded her of the man who had saved her from the demon who'd killed her family. Not to mention they both had similar eye shape and color. They also both seemed to carry themselves similarly. It all piqued (Y/N)'s interest but before she could ponder anymore on it he spoke.

   "If that's all then I'm leaving," he turned away again and started down the steps to leave the mountain. (Y/N)'s anger quickly resurfaced but as she took a step to follow Zenitsu stopped her and shook his head softly. She sighed and turned around looking at the options for what her sword's material could be.

   After a brief moment the other three new slayers had chosen and left (with the exception of Zenitsu and his "crow") (Y/N) decided on an ore, unknowingly chosing the same ore as the quick tempered boy who'd stirred up memories and pissed her off.