Chapter 11

(Y/N) and Rengoku walked towards Shinazugawa's estate, making casual conversation along the way. Ubuyashiki (who Rengoku insisted (Y/N) refer to as Oyakata-sama as opposed to using his name) had assigned the two to patrol along with Shinazugawa.

   This was done so that (Y/N) might be able to learn more of the forms as Rengoku's attempts proved rather unsuccessful. It'd been a week since she'd started training under him and when a direct request for him to at least demonstrate the forms in front of her failed he turned to asking Shinazugawa to train with him. He said yes once but when Rengoku showed up with the girl trailing behind he closed his door before she even had a chance to look at him.

   Rengoku thought he was being clever but both Senjuro and (Y/N) lost any hope of it working out after the first time failed. Although he still thought that his plan would work, Rengoku could admit that Ubuyashiki putting them on patrol together was also a viable option.

   Mizuki sat perched on (Y/N)'s arm as the girl kept her arm up and pet her gently. They drew closer to their destination and heard a sound of wood cracking. Mizuki went to (Y/N)'s shoulder and hid as much as she could in the girl's hair. She held her hand over the crow protectivlely as Rengoku seemed to be completely unfazed by the sound.

   "(Y/N)? What's wrong?" he asked. She looked at him with a frown.
   "Well I don't know what that sound was and I've also only met this guy once before and you could hardly call that a meeting. I doubt he even remembers me, there's probably a million people in the same boat as I am," she said solemnly. Rengoku chuckled and ruffled her hair.

   "You'll be fine, (Y/N). Shinazugawa-san is all bark, no bite," he reassured. (Y/N) smiled, not knowing just how much of a lie that was as they sent Mizuki off to fetch the wind hashira.

   It took a moment for her to return. (Y/N) held her arm out when she did and smoothed her feathers which had raised.
   "Mizuki? What happened? Are you okay?" she asked, noting that the crow looked rather disgruntled. Rengoku also looked at the crow as she went to answer.

   "No! You can not train under the wind hashira! He's mean and threw a broken training sword at me when I told him you and the flame hashira were here!" she cried. Rengoku rubbed the back of his neck as (Y/N)'s anxiety at meeting the man she had wanted to thank as an equal returned.

   "I'm leaving! (Y/N), I'll be in your room!" she said. Her usually calm demeanor was completely gone. As she flew off the door to the estate opened to reveal the scared man who had saved (Y/N)'s life all those years ago. She shivered as he narrowed his eyes at her.

   "Rengoku-san. Why the hell is this kid here?" he asked lowly, not breaking teh eye contact he heald with her. Rengoku leaned down and held her shoulders and placed his head on one.
   "She's my tsugoku, of course!" he shouted. She was unfazed by his loud voice right in her ear, she had spent two years living with Zenitsu.

   Shinazugawa glared. He went around them and started walking towards the area the three would be patrolling. Rengoku smiled and walked towards him with his far less cheerful tsugoku in tow.

   "Shinazugawa-san! You should really see her technique! She can do it the same way you do but she can also perform a quicker version!" Rengoku boasted. They had been walking around for a while now and had yet to see any signs of danger.
   "Please," mumbled Shinazugawa as he rolled his eyes.

   "It's true! She took some of the things she learned while being trained by the former thunder hashira and used it to enhance wind breathing!" Rengoku continued. Shinazugawa gave yet another interested response. He just wanted the sun to rise so he could go back home and hopefully not be put on another mission with some weakling and a man who acted like a puppy half the time.

   Rengoku was about to sing more of (Y/N)'s praise before stopping. The trio looked around after hearing a rustling in woods around them. (Y/N) heald the hilt of her sword, readying herself to attack. She felt the presence of a demon and noticed Shinazugawa readying to attack but Rengoku put his hand out, stopping him. The girl sighed, focusing. She tried to ease her nerves and used total concentration breathing. She could keep it up most of the time but still wasn't quite able to keep it up 100% of the time.

   A hand snaked out of the bush and (Y/N) turned towards it, unsheathing her sword. Shinazugawa's eyes narrowed at seeing her green blade. The demon emerged slowly. It didn't appear very strong or experienced but (Y/N) decided that she'd use the modified version of her wind breathing that involved some of what she learned through thunder breathing.

   The demon didn't stand a chance. She cut it's head off in a matter of seconds and turned around, looking back at the two hashira. Rengoku beamed at her while Shinazugawa glared, seemingly pissed at the bastardization of his breathing technique. She frowned.

   It seemed that trying to show off a bit only messed it up. She sheathed the sword and looked down, walking back to the hashira. Rengoku gave a large smile to Shinazugawa while he only glared.
   "See? She's really quite excellent, though I'd be sad to loose a tsugoku she'd really soar under you. The girl's excellent and though I've only known her a week I can see she has so much room to grow!" he exclaimed. Shinazugawa began walking away, continuing to patrol.

   "Shinazugawa-san, she could surpass us easily," he continued. The wind Piller didn't answer. Rengoku had started following him as (Y/N) trailed behind slowly. She felt foolish. Though knowing how much Rengoku cared about her was nice, it was obviously only irritating the other.

   Rengoku finally stopped and the three of them all fell silent, the only noise remaining being their footsteps and the occasional cricket. They walked for another hour or so before another demon showed itself. It was also weak. Shinazugawa sighed heavily, visibly annoyed.

   "Breath of Wind: Sixth Form. Black Wind Mountain Mist," he muttered before quickly decapitating it in a uppercut with his sword. His katana was back in it's sheath in a moment and he continued onward, his steps haste and angered.

   Rengoku dawned a large grin, and pat her back, giving her an eyebrow waggle. She returned his look with one of confusion. He stared blankly before sighing and following Shinazugawa. (Y/N), still confused decided she'd question it later. The trio continued on until dawn, not coming across any more demons.

   Once allowed, Shinazugawa left quickly back to his estate, giving a quick farewell to Rengoku and not so much as a glace to (Y/N). Once he left the girl yawned, ready to sleep for a few hours before waking up again to train.

   "(Y/N)!" Rengoku bellowed. She looked at him tiredly. "Shinazugawa performed the sixth form! You'll be able to practice it now!" he said happily. The girl felt herself wake up a bit before nodding, far more energetic as she made her way back to the estate along with her teacher.