Story of the Grand Canyon pt2

Note- you might be mad at Lana at the end of this but that's what heartbreak is. But if your that upset I can make a pt3 with a happy ending.

"Lana?!" The other line hung up. She was out of reach once again.

You looked down at the note with her quote on it; "Thredson is Bloody Face." You had read very little on the killer but someone who even potentially murdered people is harmful enough and if he was there in the same establishment has your love there was no doubt you were gonna get her out of there at whatever cost. You decided to leave work early to go to the library. The library on main had archives in the basement which contained all the news articles that went around from 100s of years back. This was your best bet in getting any new information.

You left work at one, now it was five in the afternoon. You had been in a room with an overwhelming amount of shelves and cabinets with countless files for 4 hours. The only new discovery you had was an article on a new hiring at Briarcliff about 2 years ago. It read that Dr. Oliver Thredson was a professor at a college you had never heard of, studying psychology and that he was a temporary replacement for the other doctor that went missing a few months before. Knowing that the library was closing soon, you put the article back in the box and come back tomorrow. Pulling the box of papers out from the shelf there was one that caught your eye,
1962 Investigation at Briarcliff Asylum .

It read that multiple people went missing, including mostly female patients around the age of 30. The time this paper was printed was the same year Thredson was hired and the doctor who was in fact a woman went missing. Stuffing the paper in your coat you left to go home and read over the article later.

You took the back roads on your way home this way it gave you time to think of a plan on how to get Lana out of that hell hole. All the suddenly you see something in the distance. It looked like a person but you were too far to tell for sure. Slowly driving up closer the figure started running towards the car. You came to a complete stop. " OPEN THE DOOR PLEASE!" You opened the door everything was happening to fast you didn't know who was begging to be let in. "DRIVE GO NOW!" You look in the passenger seat. "LANA?! She looked at you with terror and pure fear in her eyes. "Y/N!?" And just like that all the pain left her eyes. Seeing you made her feel safe. "Please just go to your house he cant know where I am. I'll explain everything later." You drove like her life depended on it because it sounded like it did. When you got to your house you locked the doors behind the two of you. Lana sat on the couch unable to breathe. You sat next to her with your hands cupping her face. "Hey shh it's okay now. I'm here. Your safe. Now can you tell me what happened?" She took a minute to tell you exactly what had happened to her. She kept her grip on you she hadn't felt this safe in a while. "Its okay, how about you just pick up where you left off." She nodded her head. "On the phone you said that Thredson promised you something a week after I came to visit you. What was that promise?" Taking a deep breath Lana talked through the pain. She said that he understood that the reason she was there was not a psychological condition. He promised her that he would get her out of there safe. He promised her that she could trust him. Everything he told her was a lie. "When he snook me out he took me to his house. I thought it would be just for a moment. But it was days before I saw the light of day again." Lana was still shaking. You hated seeing her like this and making her tell you made her relive it feeling as if this was all your fault. "How did you find out that he was Bloody Face? What lead you to that?" You asked. "He had me captive in the basement." What she continued to tell you rung a bell in your head. You grabbed the news paper from the library out of your coat. "Does this match up?" Passing her the article. Lana skimmed through it. "Where did you get this?" She looked up at you. "The library. You left me on a cliffhanger when the phone hung up so I did my own investigation. I was gonna try to get you out of there." Lana hugged you tight. "That's my girl." She whispered softly under her breath hoping you didnt hear her, but you did. This whole situation only made you feelings for her grow stronger. Lana was a strong woman you admired that. She had gone through so much trauma the past two months and yet she still had the compassion and love within her like nothing happened.

"Can I stay here for the night?" You nodded. Going upstairs you got the guest room ready once again while Lana took a shower. When she got out you checked on her once more. "Are you okay now? You can tell me if you're not." She looked at the room then back at you. "I dont wanna be alone tonight." You pulled her into a tight hug. "That's alright, I'm here. You can stay in my room." You thought that having her in your bed would be awakward but it wasnt. It felt right in some way. There was no tension between the two of you it was perfect. The both of you said your goodnights and closed your eyes eventhough sleep was no use. You kept thinking back to when you were leaving your visit at Briarcliff, when she grabbed your hand and said the words you'd never forget; "You know I love you." Whether she meant it or not it, it still had a special place in your heart. Almost as if Lana could hear your thoughts she laid her hand on top of yours. You didnt know if she was asleep or not but it didnt matter, now you could.

~next morning ~
    You woke up to Lana's body cuddled up right next to you. You laid there for one last moment in heaven. You got up and made breakfast to repay her for last time. When Lana woke up she was alone in the bed this brought on a little panic attack but it quickly went away when she heard your voice coming into the room. "Hey you" You reached out for her hand as she stretched out of bed. "Good morning" she yawned. Making your way to the kitchen with her trailing behind you put a cup of coffee on the table where she sat. "Thank you y/n." She smiled up at you. "You're welcome hun." You took a sip out of your cup. "No I mean it. Thank you for everything, letting me stay here, trying to save me. It means a lot, really." She went on about how you  saved her life. She put her hand on top of yours once again. After breakfast Lana went back upstairs to get ready for the day while you cleaned up the kitchen. It was the weekend so you didn't have to go to work. When Lana came down the stairs she had her bag in one hand in a letter in the other. Walking into the kitchen she hugged you from behind. "I'm gonna go back home now." You turned around in shock. Why was she willing to go back home to Wendy when she knew exactly what was going to happen. "What? Why?" You asked "I have to I don't have any other choice y/n." Her gaze shot to the floor. "Sweetheart you-"Please don't call me that. It's just going to make this more difficult then I want it to be." She interrupted. "Alright. Lana, you do have a choice. Wendy doesn't own you. You can't let her do whatever she does to you anymore." You stated to get more stern with her. She knew you were right, she knew that when she got home she'd be piled with a bunch of questions. Tears started to take their form and fall down her cheeks, you wiped them with the pad of your thumb.  "I want you to have this. Don't open it until I'm gone." She handed you the letter and hugged you tight before she walked out of the same door she once came in when things just started to crumble. You watched the love of your live walk right out of your life. You held the letter in your hands. You didn't want to open it but you had too. Pulling yourself together you ripped open the envelope. The letter read:
  Dear Y/N,            October 20th, 1964
    I'm sorry I left quite abruptly. I hate to do this to you but it is for the better. Im sure you are thinking that I'm a cruel selfish woman who can't love anyone, but that is not true. I once loved before, but it is simply a matter of luck if they stay and a matter of time until they leave. Someone always gets hurt around me. I care too deeply about you to watch you get hurt and it be all my fault. That is why when get to work on Monday I won't be there. I got a new job at the New York Times like you always told me I should. I guess following your advice gets me places I wouldn't have imagined.    
    When I told you I loved you the when you came to see me yesterday I truly meant it. I can only hope that you return my love by finding someone who can only better your life. I know that you did that for me. Thank you for everything you have done for me. I wish I could have done more for you. Maybe I'll get the chance to make it up in another life time. But until then just know that this was never your fault. It never could have been.
                     ~I love you dearly,~
                           Lana Winters

Tears dropped onto the paper as soft sobs left your body. She was gone. You didn't know if you'd ever see the woman that changed your life, ever again. Because in the end when you loose somebody every candle every prayer is not gonna make up for the fact that the only thing you have left is a hole and when someone's heart breaks so does a piece of our world; this creates valleys, cracks in the sidewalk, and even holes in the road.  And that's the story of the Grand Canyon

     A/N -  this was kinda exhausting to write tbh. I told you that you might be mad at Lana. What a part 3? (Happy ending)
-Mads