chapter one

SO MUCH FOR A QUIET YEARCHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

Adelaide had hoped that the universe would be kinder to her this year.

She stood outside of the Hogwarts Express, praying that this year would be different; that it would be lighter on her shoulders and treat her fairly better than the past years have.

It was no secret that the scent of a war was brewing; that the weight of loss, disaster, and death clung to the shoulders of every witch, wizard, and Muggle alike. Now that the Dark Lord and his followers were growing relentless, and the attacks had increased a gracious amount, it was difficult to wake up every morning without fearing for, not just yours, but the safety of every other person alive during the war — Muggleborn or not.

There were lives lost, going to be lost, and meant to be lost — that was how it worked. Because in the reality of a war, of deep-seated fear and well-hidden secrets, happiness and peace were an anathema. An impossibility.

One could simply not outlive a war without losing something; without losing someone.

Yet, there was still that unmistakable hint of excitement and familiarity exuding from every person in Platform 9 3/4. Most students rushed to find a compartment in the Express to save for either their friends or themselves — most of the time, a greedy fourth year would be likely to save one whole compartment for reasons being the latter. Nevertheless, it was always a comforting ride back to their second home.

Quickly, she stepped inside, making sure that none of them bump into her, and continued on her way to look for her friends — Marlene, Athena, and Lily.

She always thought that the lesser the friends, the lesser the drama. But being best friends with Marlene McKinnon, she just never seemed to be out of date with the latest gossip going around Hogwarts. Her two other friends, Lily Evans and Athena Xavier, were much more low-key when it came to gossip. Though, Adelaide would argue that Athena was just Marlene with a different hair color. Both her and Marlene seemed to always be kept up with the drama; whether it be about relationships, friendships, rivalries—hell, even professor-related drama, the two just never seemed to run out of things to talk about. They were both loud, rowdy, and incredibly funny.

The contrast of the first duo's personalities to the other two seemed to work for them. Lily and Adelaide, on the other hand, were much quieter compared to the two. They both were top of their class (sometimes sparking a friendly competition with the other), reserved, kind-hearted, and well-spoken. The only difference between them is that Adelaide seemed to be much more outspoken with her opinions. While Lily would make occasional comments and snide remarks towards someone, Adelaide was never afraid to call someone out and be aggressive.

She was kind, forgiving, and clever; yet straightforward when needed. Which was also why she was never afraid to call out James Potter on his ridiculous antics, along with his posse (with the exception of Remus and Peter, she was quite fond of the two). For the past six years, she would never hesitate to tell him to leave Lily alone, stringing along a snarky comment about his personality, which she found revolting. How so much ego and immaturity could fit into his head, she didn't know. How Remus and Peter were friends with him, despite being completely different people in her eyes, she also didn't know. All she knew was that she despised James Potter. And she planned on making it stay that way.