chapter ten

ROWANS'CHAPTER TENWARNING: mentions of panic attack and death

ROWANS'
CHAPTER TEN
WARNING: mentions of panic attack and death

DEATH EATER ATTACK IN A MUGGLE TOWN

15 INJURED, NO DEATHS

Reports of a death eater attack in a muggle town located in London had been looked into by the Ministry of Magic. Aurors arrived at the scene, where no deaths were recorded. Fifteen people—8 muggles and 7 wizards—were reported to have been injured.

Witnesses at the scene said that there were a group of 5 masked convicts, who seemed to be following orders from a cloaked man.

The Ministry urges everyone to keep safe and be alert at all times. Should there be any concerns, contact the Aurors and keep your wands with you at all times.

If you have any information, please contact Ministry officials immediately.

The Great Hall was filled with hushed whispers, everyone rushing to someone who had the recent copy of The Daily Prophet. It wasn't exactly new news to hear that a death eater attack had taken place, but what made it so terrifying was that it was close to home for many of the students. They had felt so safe inside the castle that they forgot just how dangerous it was outside — outside from all the centuries long of protective charms and experienced wizards. But they were all just kids and teenagers, of course it wouldn't set in as quickly. They were in school, not a battleground. You couldn't really force 11 to 17 year olds to be ready to put their lives on the line. But Adelaide couldn't handle seeing all the copies of the newspaper, she couldn't handle all the whispers that, to her, sounded like a thousand, deadly screams.

Athena, Marlene, and Lily all looked at each other and then at their friend worriedly. Lily, in particular, had tried her best to not let Adelaide see what was written in the papers. She knew it wouldn't have been good for her, and it hurt to see that she was right. The girl's cheery mood had now died down, she was deafeningly quiet. Adelaide kept her gaze on the paper, her grip on it getting tighter and tighter without her noticing, and her breathing started to be more shallow. She didn't even notice the tears building up in her eyes until she felt them running down her cheek, dropping on her arms. And it felt like a thousand knives piercing her skin.

"Adelaide?" Lily gently placed a hand on Adelaide's arm. She was getting increasingly worried for her friend. She tried to shake the girl out of her trance but to no avail; Adelaide still kept her eyes on the paper, repeatedly running over the headline. She was afraid, the death eater attack took place near her titas' home. If anything had happened to the only family she had left, she wouldn't be able to live with herself.

She couldn't lose family, not again.

Adelaide had done a good job forgetting what happened in June, and always planned on never remembering that night again. But she was naive, and everything just came rushing back. It was as if she was reliving that day — she could hear his screams, his pleads, and she could feel him lose his life again and again and again. She wasn't in the Great Hall, instead she was hiding in her brother's closet as she watched him fight for his life. She wasn't hearing her friend asking her if she needed help, instead she was hearing her brother screaming for he who must not be named to not hurt her. The world started to close on her and suddenly the Great Hall just seemed too crowded.