chapter eleven

DEFENSE CLUBCHAPTER ELEVEN

DEFENSE CLUB
CHAPTER ELEVEN

"I know you've heard of the news, and I am well aware that you are all still very young, so shall you not be willing to do what I ask, it is understood," Dumbledore said as he stood from his desk. He had called Adelaide, Marlene, Lily, Athena, the Marauders, and a few more of his students to his office to talk about a defense club he had been planning to form. It was only until the recent death eater attack did he realize that waiting was simply not an option anymore. It unnerved him that there was a death eater attack with no major deaths involved — not that he was hoping people would die, but it wasn't everyday that a death eater would be kind enough to leave without killing someone. He knew that Tom was planning something, and it didn't take a genius to know that he was.

"With all due respect, sir, why have you asked us to come here?" Vivian Tonks, a Hufflepuff from the same year, asked.

"You see, Miss Tonks, I have been planning to form a group of some sorts, where you will all learn offensive and defensive spells."

"So, it's  like a defense group?" a sixth year, whom Adelaide recognized to be Brett Woods, said.

"Yes, Mister Woods, you are correct. In light of recent events, I have decided to call you all here and talk to you about joining the group. You will all be learning how to defend, how to fight, and how to protect — not just yourselves — but your families and friends as well. Of course, I understand if this may be too much to ask of you, so you are not obligated to say yes. But for those who are willing, I ask you to come forward and let me know."

It was no surprise that the first person to step up was James. He had been waiting for the opportunity to use his magical abilities in battle ever since he got his own wand. The boy was brave, daring, and unafraid — so naturally, he accepted Dumbledore's offer. "I'll join it, sir," he said confidently.

Sirius followed not too long after, and soon enough, almost everyone in the Headmaster's office stepped forward and agreed to join the group. Peter wanted to join, but he had to be dragged by Remus so he could actually accept the offer — he was rather scared when it came to anything to do with battling the Dark Lord and his followers. Lily, Marlene, and Athena soon joined in, leaving Adelaide to be the only one who hasn't said anything. Everyone looked at her in anticipation, some looking at her as if she had insulted them just by standing there.

It wasn't that she didn't want to join, or because she was scared, she really wanted to. But none of them knew, except for her friends, that she had seen just how dangerous of a man Voldemort was. She had seen him kill her brother before her eyes, and she knew how skilled and powerful he was firsthand. The thought of a bunch of teenagers who practice in school fighting against hundreds of experienced witches and wizards didn't seem fair. There was a clear imbalance of power. Even trained aurors didn't stand a chance against the evil wizards, like her brother.