chapter twenty seven

PROMISE STRINGSCHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

PROMISE STRINGS
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

December wasn't the most ideal month to stay outside, especially at night, when all the cold just hits at your face and manages to penetrate through the many layers of clothing you had on. Adelaide was just glad that she brought her wand everywhere, heating charms were a wizard's best friend at this time of the year, so she cast it on both her and James as soon as they stepped outside. She was still rather clueless as to whatever surprise the boy had for her, she only knew that it was taking place outside of the castle and that he was beyond excited for her to see what he had prepared.

James was always one for surprises; the boy didn't just like them, he loved them. He always thought they were fun to do, always bringing that nostalgic, happy, carefree feeling when done right. It always provided the destressing everyone needed once in a while, and he was more than glad to make one for Adelaide. He had disappeared the moment after dinner to ask help from the house-elves (James liked to think he was rather close with them, they did spend a lot of time in the kitchens before the full moon and after successfully doing a prank) and from Hagrid, who was just as enthusiastic with the surprise as the teenager. The half-giant enjoyed spending time with the Hogwarts students, especially with the Marauders — their lively chatter, corny jokes, and bright, contagious energies never failed to cheer him up.

"Are we near?" asked Adelaide, her breath visible in the thin air.

"Just a little farther, then we're there."

"You know, it would be nice if I could see where I was going."

Adelaide heard James let out a short chuckle from behind her, his chest vibrating as he kept a hold on her shoulders, guiding her to wherever they were headed. No matter how many close calls Adelaide had to tripping over James' feet or her own, he insisted that she suspend her sense of sight for "precautionary measure" in case she accidentally saw what he had spent the evening preparing for her, and ruin the element of surprise.

Adelaide argued it was stupid, James argued that she was stupid.

"It would, but where's the fun in that?" he answered cheekily, Adelaide could hear his signature cocky smirk in his voice.

"There won't be any, but it would be greatly appreciated."

"No choice but to shut up and suck it it up, I'm afraid."

"Lovely way to charm a girl, James."

"Ah, well, you know me—such a ladies man!"

"Mhm, definitely, the most gentlemanly of all men. You're so perfect and charming—how does anyone have enough self-control not to throw themselves at you?" Adelaide said, the sarcasm so evident in her voice it was amusing to James. "Oh, this is stupid! Get this dumb blindfold off me!"

"We're here, love, now stop complaining." James guided Adelaide to stand right in front of what he, Hagrid, and two house elves had prepared.

Unfortunately for Adelaide — and arguably fortunate for James — the harsh, cold wind hit the girl right at the chest, ultimately making her lose her balance and fall right onto James' front. Flushed and surprised, James cleared his throat to release the increasing tension in it and helped her regain her balance — he just hoped he didn't have to spend the next hour with uncomfortably tight pants.